Fishy sounds

• Hello everyone!

Ever since I started freediving, I've been surprised to know that many fish make sounds.
    I haven't heard demersal species like snapper or grouper making sounds, but I've heard trevallies (Jacks) make an "ukk ukk" sound, and Spanish mackerel make a sort of nasal groaning sound. Another observation I've noted is that these fish tend to be louder when the water is murky. Is that their way of letting other fish know they're around in the murk? Pretty interesting stuff.

I know that the folks in california talk about the croaking sounds of WSB, and that got me interested in finding out which other fish make sounds and noises in the water.

Have you heard any fish making vocal sounds? Or can you associate certain sounds with certain fish?

• Snappers and grouper make the most noise where I dive, the boom of a big grouper like a jew fish can scare the shit out of anyone!! But it is insanely noisy on any reef in the Caribbean with even the coral making nise!

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• I have found reefs to be too nosy to identify individual fish nose with the exception of large groupers and jewfish with their LOUD booms and The croaking of Corvina and Croakers. Whereas diving in the deep blue the sound of silence is more pronounced.

Like George said - Reefs are so nosy they blank out any subtle fish sounds from my observations.

• I agree with all of you. Reefs sometimes sound like frying pans on full heat!
    The strangest fish sound I've heard has to be spanish mackerel. It almost sounds like a goat when they're close by in bad viz.

• I agree with all of you. Reefs sometimes sound like frying pans on full heat!
    The strangest fish sound I've heard has to be spanish mackerel. It almost sounds like a goat when they're close by in bad viz.

What you call the Spanish mackerel is the Pacific narrow banded mackerel right? If so having never dove the other side of the world I can only imagine!

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• What you call the Spanish mackerel is the Pacific narrow banded mackerel right? If so having never dove the other side of the world I can only imagine!

Yeah, it's called the narrow barred spanish mackerel. Possibly the most sought after fish in the UAE in terms of demand. In the murk, they look like missiles!