Red Triangle Spearfishing Kayak dive Sonoma Coast

• Well as most of you know the North coast has been rough and nasty for some time and conditions have not been nice to dive in since abalone season opened up. Well this Saturday the ocean finally gave us a window to get in with some what decent conditions foretasted, at 3ft swell and 10 mph winds. A group of good friends and some of the Red Triangle Spearfishng Team got together for a kayak trophy abalone dive on the Sonoma coast. In total there were 7 divers in the group. There was Matt Lopez, Charlie Lekamp, Kris Cortez, Aarron Sturtevant, Trevor Scott and Trevor Larsen and Marco Mazza and my self. We all met up at the decided upon location on Saturday morning at 6am, we wanted to get a jump any wind that was foretasted to come later in the day. We all got geared up and kayaks loaded and started are long pull through the dried up creek bed and out over the sandy beach to the waters edge. Once there we could see the water had a small swell and was fairly dirty.

With great excitement and anticipation we launched our yaks and started paddle to the first dive site which is known for big trophy abalone. It was a short paddle maybe 1.5 miles which was not bad since there was only a light wind and minor swells. Once at the dive site we all anchored up, Tip if you are kayaking diving the Sonoma coast right now be sure to bring an anchor as there is no kelp to clip off to.
    The water was doable but was not stellar by any means, we had 2-5ft of vis depending on where you dropped down at and there was a ton of surge when the sets would come in. I know there was one set that came in that gave Marco and I a real good reality check and kick in the ass letting us know the break zone would be out of the question today. Both Marco and I love to work that little area where the waves break in the shallows we both have found many of big abalone in that zone.
    Right off the bat first 5 min in the water Trevor Larsen pops up with a nice ling. Which made for a good start to the day? We all were working the 5 to 20ft range you do not have to go deep to get big trophy abalone!!!! We all worked the area for about 1.5hrs, finding lots of cool structure and nice abalone. Marco was the first one to pop and find a 10, and a nice one that went 10.3 and some change.
    We all continued to work the area finding nice big abalone but not elusive ten. I did come across and shoot a nice 9 pound ling while looking for ab’s.

By this point we had been in this area for well over 2.5 hrs and we all decided it was time to move to another area. So this is where the group split up into 2 groups. My self and Trevor Larsen and Marco started south and found a spot that looked intriguing, we could tell the vis was bad like 2ft but that is a good recipe for big abalone. While the rest of the group stopped a little further north of us on. So the 3 of us worked the area for about an hr when what do you know the young buck kid Marco pops up with another ten inch ab !! Way to good kid!!! Now I am thinking to myself get your ass in gear this kid has 2 tens and I do not even have one yet!!! WTF but I am stoked to see Marco get those ab’s and see the next generation of young divers kicking ass!!!! We need that for our sport to continue on and grow.

Well shortly after that I found my first ten of 2015 yahoo not a big one but a trophy ab!!!

I call Trevor Larsen over to check it out and let him know there is some decent abs in the area and within 5 min he pops up with his ten!!!!

Yahoo we all got some trophies. I continued to dive a bit longer but did not find any other tens but did come across and shoot another ling that went 10 pounds sorry no pictures of the lings. In all it was a great day. As for the rest of the group I know they all did well with nice sized abalone, lings and scallops being taken. Charlie ended pulling a ten inch abalone as well. Children cover your eyes!!!!!! This was the picture Charlie sent when asked for one of his trophy abalone!!! If you Know Charlie and his sense of humor this makes total sense.

Here is a picture of Matt Lopez’s a beautiful 9.83

As for the other young buck of the group Aaron shot his biggest and PB ling at a little over 15 pounds. Congrats Aaron this is only the beginning for you and it is awesome to see these young Men/Kids continue on the sport and progress in the sport.

Kris and the other Trevor got there ab’s as well. So in total several lings were shot, Scallops taken and several nice abalone taken with 5 tens being taken in the group of 7 divers. In all another awesome day with Red Triangle Spearfishing and good friends!!!!
    I am looking forward to the next adventure and dive. I want to send a huge shout out and Thank you to my awesome Sponsors Red Triangle Spear Fishing and thank you to my fellow teammates and dive buddies for being a part of these adventures.

Written by
    Matt Mattison,