Speargun Engineering Thesis

• Gday guys,
    I am in my last year of a mechanical engineering degree in Brisbane and have been lucky enough to be doing a years worth of research on the 'Design and Optimisation of a Speargun' with the aim to make a gun or two with all features optimised by the end of the year.

Has anyone published similar reports? There doesn't seem to be much out there for literature review other than forum discussions.

I will be getting stuck into theory calculations comparing roller guns/traditional guns as well as a lot of testing and comparisons of different components. Very excited about the project and if anyone wants to discuss the mechanical advantages of different designs I am more than happy to brainstorm.

Cheers and safe diving to all.

• Gday nishthefish,

And yer thats me and my mate in that clip above. I am not the one who shot the fish. haha
    Az still uses that roller and I guess thats some proof that they do work, although theres a lot up to personal preference with them.

Will keep you updated as the project I am doing develops.

Cheers, safe diving mate

• Be happy to help. First of all, don't get broad looking at too many aspects of the entire speargun design unless you just want to touch off a little on each part.

A better paper might be just a couple aspect of the design. Which one's you say... Well what is your interest, mech engineering is pretty big.

Define how deep you want to go with a few metrics. Schedule time ( a year), how many man-hours you willing to put into it. What is your cost budget? What is the audience's expectation? Guessing you want to do physical data collection to verify the calculations.

Optimizing each aspect of the gun seems like a lot, is my point.

If I was grading you, seeing you dig deeper on a feature would be better than just touching everything a little.

Optimizing: What does this really mean? Max energy applied to target. or maybe accuracy and better groupings on target.

• I would contact Popgun Pete once you get your PM ability. He has a pretty good amount of information on speargun design and could probably help you run down some more info.

I just graduated with my degree in Mech. Eng. so congrats on making it this far, it isn't easy. Unfortunately a lot of the information and experiments done in the world of spearfishing is very far from the controlled models we are used to in school. Most of it is very anecdotal and not close to an acceptable level for a thesis. Good luck and let me know if you need any help.

• Tosses hook to reel in Wishihadgills and me in with interest. Where did he go?

Wishihadgills: I told Joe about you getting through school, He was interested in seeing where you are as a resource and current capability.

Need some young blood in Engineering ranks. Hook you up with a seasoned P.E. Mech Engineer who made his own jet engine in his garage.