Warning: It can happen to you

• (happen) I´m not sure if the spelling is correct on this one. Please feel free to correct me.

I had a burning fever for three days straight, as a result of puncturing my index with a huge fish (anal) espina (translation) i had been treated with shots of third generation cephalosporine antibiotics. Be careful, cause spearfishing could be a really dangerous sport, even when the fishes are allready dead and landed.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• Just happened, in fact i had just got my fifth antibiotic shot a minute ago. :eek: the incubation period of the nasty bug was about two weeks. Now the tiny little mofos are dying of serious antibiotic posioning :biggrin: :smile1: be careful of fish scales and fish jelly: ALWAYS USE GLOVES , A HAND SAW AND HUGE PLIERS TO DEAL WITH BIG FISH PLEASE... I´m glad i got my treatment on time

• I don't think it's because of that. I believe it's because people value them a lot and risk themselves to land one. Rolo told me a story that happened to a friend of his that was stalking a Pargo. It was a crafty fish and would always stay just out of range. This made the diver believe that he's very close to getting the fish, if he could only make a better effort. This kept going on for a while until the diver realized that this fish is going to kill him and gave it up.

• Pargos around here are not difficult to spear, but they put up a serious fight, if not stoned they are one tough, hard to land fishes. I prefer cabrillas, the meat is tastier and they are easier to kill. I always go for the stone shot. If not i prefer to let them go. For the pargo hunting you need an accurate bullet proof speargun, spare shafts, slip tip and cable.

• Good pics Toño :toast: The one in your right hand is a grouper right? What is the actual scientific name of your Pargo? In Cuba Pargo is mutton snapper so here in Florida amongst ourselves we call it that. I realize that the Spanish spread that name and applied it to various species of snapper. Our Pargo (mutton snapper) doesn't get that big I believe. The biggest one I've shot was around 10-12lb in Bahamas, if I remember correctly. I've never shot a big one like that here. The snappers that we do get really big here are Cuberas. Those can take your gear.

• We have a lot of them that fall into the Lutjanus category. The one in the pic is a pargo dientón. But we have coconaco, prieto, clavellino and Huachinango. They are all big and reach sizes in excess of 100 pounds. The Cerralvo pargos are among the biggest in the world. There are plenty of them around here, you may say that they are the most prevalent fishes in Baja.