Tzalam and Satine gun build

• Thanks

I am pretty pleased with the results and am looking forward to hunting with it.

I have been an archer my whole life, and have been building wooden bows for years, now its time to apply that to spearfishing:thumbsup2:

• Up till now I have mostly used mid handle guns, so when I installed the anchor for my breakaway snubber I placed it on the right side of the gun (I'm rt. handed). When I rigged up the gun I immediately realized that the shooting line would foul pretty much every shot.

I removed the anchor and replaced it on the bottom of the gun where the shooting line would run clear. I cut another small piece of Tzalam and made a Dutchman which came out nice. The color is a bit off but like they say in construction " Its not a mistake; its a design feature". Now I have a nice accent on the gun instead of a boring, perfect, stock.

I'll post a few more pics later

• I am very pleased with the results of my initial testing. During the last two weeks I finally got to test my new gun.

I had done no ballasting, as the ocean is several hours away, so I was happy to see that the gun sank, tip slightly down, with the shaft in, and floated without the shaft. The combination of Tzalam and Satine seems to be a perfect blend. The bands could be a little shorter, but three 5/8 bands was plenty of power for a double wrap.

Much of the trip was spent line fishing. We won largest fish in the San Juan de Alima Torneo de Pesca with a 98.5k Blue Marlin. I saw few fish on my few dives with the gun, but shot a nice Cabrilla (Tigre), and a perfect head shot on a trigger at 15'. I look forward to further testing

• I have had a few months to hunt with the gun now. Originally I started with the bands at 300% stretch, but have shortened them till I now have 350%. With three bands and a double wrap the shaft now pulls the breakaway every time, so I will either be using two bands, or adding a wrap.

The gun (115cm) seems to be better suited to light blue water than it is to reef hunting. With that much power it could bang up a shaft pretty easily, and shafts are expensive and hard to get in Mexico.

My next gun will be a 100cm, two band gun for reef use.