Band power and shaft

• Hi ,

I just want to understand how the small ID rubber can replace the regular one and how much power needed or enough to let your spear hit the target at 5 meter with satisfactory results ,just did 2 studies ,first I take my south african rail gun and calculate the elongation ratio for the rubber as per the recommended by the manufacture and as I used it practically ,second I use primeline calculator to get the theoretical power , the attached picture may be won't be easy to understand cause I mix the pound , gram ,cm and inch but it show the force in pound we could get theoretically from specific rubber ,

south african gun can shoot 2*16mm at elongation 315% (force is 95-105 Ib) or 1*18mm at elongation 290% (Force is 55-60 Ib) ! using same spear 7mm length 170 cm ,I can replace the 16mm with 14.5mm small ID and elongation 360% to get the same power .

conclusion so it is more simple
    why when I change from rubber size to bigger rubber size I can get the shoot at less power by same spear (as manufacture told me)?
    I'm not expert but I just use what ever data came with both speargun and the rubber maybe I miss something here ?
    I want to find a relation between the needed power and spear dimension or mass .
    I hope my post is clear BTW I discuss this in another forum but not find the light .

• What you refer to as "power" is not equal to the total energy stored or released during the contraction of the bands. Thicker bands require more energy to load at all levels of stretch.
    As far as spearguns are concerned they have a sweet spot where band power,shaft size,gun type and shooters style are optimal. The sweet spot is found by trying different configurations in the water. A chart will get you in the ball park but you need to do the fine tuning.

• I am more practical than theoretical, but I like 2x14 mm small ID bands better than 2x16 mm. Shot is "smoother" and power is almost the same (some say it is even more powerfull with 2 x 14 mm). This is beacuse 14 mm bands can be stretched more than 16 mm.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.