Speargun facelift

• So after I sorted out the ballast issue on my Andre 120, I decided to change the finish of the gun itself. The surface was finished with this orangey thick stain and I never liked it from the start. I prefer natural finishes, but I couldn't discern what the wood looked like, because it was solid color stain. So I took a chance and figured I could always use a penetrating stain to unify the color later if I didn't like the results of the sanding.

Sanding revealed three different grains and colors, with the two center laminates being the same, but the outer two were different. One is more blonde and wider grained, like sapwood, and the other side was darker, almost like an olive color, with some figuring along its length. The gun is described as teak, and I have no reason to think its something else. It appears to be typical natural variation.

I started sanding with 120 grit to get the orange stain off, then gradually took it up to 600. The whole gun took sanding very well, and I was able to sand out a couple flaws here and there, so that satisfied my detailing ocd a bit. :) speaking of which, I would have preferred the outer edges match up in grain and color a little better, but I do like the character of the wood. So the whole thing was finished with teak oil. I've been applying it for the last 5 days, letting it soak in, reapplying, etc,etc. Today I gave it a final heavy coat, then wiped off the excess after about 2 hours...it won't take any more so I'm done. I did leave the heavier factory stain inside the shaft track, under the handle frame and the band holes. I figured it was more durable for these higher wear areas than an oil finish and it's so low visibility it wouldn't matter on the final finish.

Before oiling, I reshaped the forward edge of the depression for the line release, kind of like how Ulusub guns are. It's a better design imo, because of how the line sits on the wood in relation to the release and I like how it looks...its reminiscent of the shape on the ejection ports of some of the guns I've shot before. I hope you don't mind an imitation of your wood craft, Jon. Someday I'll order one of yours and I wont need to do anything but shoot fish with it.:D

For the SS handle frame, it was sanded down to give it a brushed, matte finish. It came with a high polish and I'm not a fan of that. I like the mix of traditional looks and tactical function..so matte finishes are what I prefer. I know it's the Indian and not the arrow, but I like asthetics of the tools I use as much as function. It kind of adds to the experience when you like the look of the tools or weapons you're using.

Here's a few pics...1 at a time courtesy of iPad....

• Correct, that's the safety. Though when I backed it out all the way as far as I could, it seemed to stop. I don't mind the safety, all the firearms I've fired have them...its just part if the process for me.