Aqualung Sphera mask

• The Aqua Lung or Aqualung Sphera mask is a low volume mask preferred by freedivers. It has curved plastic lenses that allow it to wrap around the face, resulting in increased field of vision and lower volume. The Sphera mask achieves low volume in a different way than other masks in the ultra low volume micromask class, and as such is likely to provide a waterproof seal for a larger segment of divers that otherwise experience leaking especially under the nose area. However this same curvature of the lenses causes some visual distortion making the Aqua Lung Sphera an acquired taste. The plastic lenses are also sensitive to scratches requiring more care during storage. The silicone skirt is soft and comfortable.

All in all the Aqualung Sphera is not an ideal mask for spearfishing where excellent visual properties and high durability are required. But it has acquired a strong following among freedivers. The newest version of the Sphera mask with silver buckles is available with free shipping from spearfishing.store Aqualung Sphera Mask.

• I agree with Dan. I have 5-6 masks and while the Sphera is an amazing mask for freediving I don't really recommend it for spearfishing. Its optical properties are just too poor.
    The brain does a great job at adjusting for it, so after diving with a Sphera for a short while, you kinda stop noticing it. But try to bring a proper glass mask and a Sphera on the same dive, change between them and you will instantly know.

But the Sphera is a unique mask for people who dive deep and/or suffer from EQ issues. What makes the mask so special is that the frame is very flexible and the lenses, themselves, are bendy, too. A lot of divers just EQ the Sphera down to 10-20m and then let it collapse on their face as they go deeper. This means, they retain more air to EQ their ears and sinuses with. With other stiffer masks, you would need to EQ them more and deeper or risk mask squeeze injuries such as small blood vessels bursting in your eyes.

True also that it is a tad fragile. While the scratches don't bother me much (they will fill in with water when diving and not really show up much) it is not uncommon for Sphera lenses to pop out of the frame if handled roughly on a boat or land. Hang out with freedivers long enough and you stop counting how often this happens. This is why I always keep my Sphera in a plastic box unless it is on my face. I don't do that for any of my regular glass-lensed freedive masks. With a bit of skill, you can put the lenses back in so it is not the end of the world, though.

Since it is so flexible, the Sphera also fits a ton of different face shapes. Come to think about it, I can't recall ever meeting one whom it didn't fit.

All in all, for deeper diving and fun diving, it is def an interesting and recommendable mask.

• I bought one of these realizing the optical problems due to refraction at different angles of the lens to the eye as it curves around your face, however it should have relatively low drag. The Sphera mask evolved from the Sphera goggles as a sort of dive mask with no nose piece. Designed for swimming where the vision was less important, just as swim goggles often have separate lenses in eye cups out of register with each other. Sooner or later it was going to made into a mask and after the first year that is exactly what happened. I bought it for just cruising around, however unless you close one eye for shooting a flat glass, all in one plane mask is best.