Seac Motus fins and foot pockets review

• I had the Seac Motus foot pockets lying around for a couple of years since they first came out. I didn't like them so I didn't offer them in the store, and never reviewed them because I didn't think they'd catch on.

I was with my dog at the beach, saw a diver coming out of the water and stopped to chat. Found out he broke both his fin blades, they're the Seac Motus fiberglass fins. He was tired from swimming back without fins and towing the board. He said he was very careful with the fins. Ironically he got the fiberglass fins for beach dives so as not to damage his carbon fins. It prompted me to write the review.

Seac-Motus-Fins.jpg

Seac-Motus-Fiberglass-Fins.jpg

Seach-Motus-Fins-Review.jpg

This is the hardware the Seac Motus foot pocket comes with. The typical toe plate, bottom support plate, two screws and two tendon end clips.

Seac-Motus-Footpockets.jpg

The foot pocket feels light weighing 566 grams at size 45-46, that's 100 grams less than the OMER Stingray foot pocket. It's hard to describe, the texture or feel of it doesn't inspire confidence. Being able to fold the bottom in the manner shown below is not something I would expect from a good foot pocket.

Seac-Motus-Foot-Pockets.jpg

The tendon stiffness is between soft and moderate. I look for moderate stiffness tendons so the blade gets support from the foot pocket over one third of it's length. Soft tendons and lack of support, apart from poorly made blades, can cause blade failure exactly in the area where our diver broke his.

Seac-Motus-Foot-Pockets-Review.jpg

I always look forward to new foot pockets. There are so many different shaped feet, it's good to have options a diver can try. I don't feel the Seac Motus foot pockets fill any gaps fit or price wise. As far as performance the soft bottom is something I would stay away from. I'd stick with tried and true foot pockets like OMER Stingray if they fit.

• Gracias Dan. Es una irresponsabilidad para el spearfishing y apnea hacer productos de tan mala calidad así como venderlos.

Un Hombre tiene que creer en algo.......
    Creo que me iré de pesca!!!

• I wasn't going to ask the diver to unpack, so I didn't inspect the back of the fins. But it's clear from the picture that one of the blades broke well below the screw attachment, which is right behind the red toe plate. If one blade breaking is not related to screws then it's safe to conclude there are other factors responsible.

Screws are a current and valid system for blade retention in foot pockets. I have no issues with it if the foot pocket is good, the blade is good, and the screws have a backing plate that distributes the pressure from the screws over a larger area.

In reality even blade failure along the screw line is indicative of bad blades and/or lack of support by the foot pocket tendons and can't be blamed on the screws. Which brings me to the next point. Tendons on a foot pocket is a desirable feature, necessary for blade support and stabilization through the water channeling effect the tendons create together with the blade rails. There is absolutely no negative associated with tendons.
    I would not call tendonless foot pockets a trend, the concept has been around a long time, was adapted by very few manufacturers and dropped just as quickly. Currently I'm only aware of the C4 fins that use this system. From personal experience I can say there have been many broken C4 fins. They are basically priced so high that the cost of warranty replacement is built in.

• Take a look at this:

BTW, I have had a pair of C4's for 15 years with intensive use with no problem and the retail price in Italy is 300 Euro. I had to change them because the carbon fabric was exposed and carbon "hairs" were hanging around due to be scratched with sea bottom.

Now I'm using for 2 years a pair of used Pathos I bought on sale and I'm happy with them so far.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Marco, you are one individual with one pair of fins that turned out to be good. I'm exposed to much more product, I think since years have passed it must be something you will never accept from me. But as always I'm glad you offered your opinion.

The fin pictures you posted do capture the imagination. That's what they're meant to do. Your C4 83 carbon fins retail for 700 USD. I'll stick with my Speardiver carbon fins, never felt them lacking anything I needed.

• Marco, you are one individual with one pair of fins that turned out to be good. I'm exposed to much more product, I think since years have passed it must be something you will never accept from me. But as always I'm glad you offered your opinion.

The fin pictures you posted do capture the imagination. That's what they're meant to do. Your C4 83 carbon fins retail for 700 USD. I'll stick with my Speardiver carbon fins, never felt them lacking anything I needed.

You're right on that. I will never accept that C4's are fragile. Not for me ^^

The price I posted was from an Italian on-line store. 300 Euros. I just saw it.

Dive gear prices in the USA can be excessive sometimes. :crazy:

Marco Melis

• With regards to C4 fins durability, what is your weight? From the avatar looks like you may have gained muscle mass but it's hard to tell with the cape :)

More than I would like it to be... ^^

I weight 187 pounds right now.

Marco Melis

• What's your target weight? I'm now 225, down from 235, will get to 195 and hope to stay there.

Do you think a heavier diver stresses carbon fins more? A local diver I know is 300lb and using the same pair of Speardiver fins (medium hard stiffness) for 6 years. He already went through 3 pairs of foot pockets.

• What's your target weight? I'm now 225, down from 235, will get to 195 and hope to stay there.

Do you think a heavier diver stresses carbon fins more? A local diver I know is 300lb and using the same pair of Speardiver fins (medium hard stiffness) for 6 years. He already went through 3 pairs of foot pockets.

I would say 175 pounds. I used to weight 154 when I played for the University soccer team, but that was past century... :laughing:

I'm sure the most important factor when choosing blades stiffness is weight. And for sure a heavier diver will stress them more. Change his Omer footpockets by Mares, shave the tendoms with a potato peeler until you take off about half a pound of each one and he will be the happier guy in the water. ;)

Marco Melis