Speargun and the rest of equipment for a noob

• Hi people,

I am going to 10 day vacation on 10th of June to Greece on Ionian sea. Previously I have tried spearfishing on vacation in 2015 and 2016 with borrowed Mares Sten gun also in Greece near Lefkada and Corfu.

I live in Serbia which is landlocked, so basicaly I can spearfish only for 10-15 days during summer vacation.

I have some Technisub stratos fp fins and some smaller snorkeling Cressi fins, some Cressy mask (all clear silicone with tempered glass), got pair of neoprene gloves and socks, got some fishing knife that I have used on those two previous occasions.

Now I need SPEARGUN, buoy/float and a torch. Im really tight on a budget so for this year I'm skipping wetsuit. After some thinking and reading all over the web I think that a 75 gun will work good for me (is it?). I am planing to order equipment from some of the Greek shops, and to pay delivery to hotel where we are going to stay. My budget is 60€ for a gun.

I have noticed a few models:

Seac sub sting 75cm

About 47 €

Saw a few videos about it on youtube. Maybe biggest disadvantage is because it doesn't have a rail, but some Ozzy guy said it is precise.

Also from two Greek companies; (all of them have rail):

Lanara plus pothos extra 75cm (90cm), 17mm amber rubber

About 48€

Xdive Alpha 75cm (90 cm), 16mm black rubber, changeable spear tip.

57€

Xdive triton 75, 18mm black rubber, comes with tahitian spear, spare shaft with threaded tip and a bag.

53€

I wrote lowest prices that I saw they aren't all from same website

Some help please?

Thanks in advance 😄

P.S. If you know some good torch on a budget I need that too.

• Wellcome! Seac is a quality brand, I don't have much experience with their spearguns tho, but I think it's ok. Look into Beauchat evils, they're nice and not so expensive. 75 cm it's pretty much a hole/cave gun, you'll be better set with a speargun in the 90/100 range which is more versatile... Good luck

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

Edited once, last by monster slayer ().

• Thanks for your welcome and for te tips. I found out that there is a Beuchat representative here in Belgrade near my job so I'll call them on monday to check the prices.

I suppose there isn't a universal speargun 😝

What do I get and what do I lose with 90cm gun compared to 75cm?

• I have a RA 100 as my primary cave/hole gun, And I find it perfect for it, the gun is not so short to reach and touch someone, and not so long as to be cumbersome in tight spaces. A 75 in comparison can only be used for very short range spearfishing, therefore it could be considered as a " speciality" gun, since a cave gun is what it is. Regards...

• Thanks👍🏻

I've noticed something when I started comparing two xdive guns that I have mentioned before.

Alpha 75 has a tube of 28mm and 1,2mm thick; 16mm x 18cm black/amber usa rubber and 6,5mm x 90cm arrow.

Alpha 90 has a tube of 28mm and 1,2mm thick; 16mm x 20cm rubber and 7mm x 105cm spear.

Compared to that Triton 75 has a tube of 28mm and thick only 1mm; usa rubber 17,5mm x 20cm and 6,5mm x 105cm speae.

So triton has thicker rubber but thinner tube walls and spear. Should I be worried Is this thinner body going to bend because of stronger rubber?

And one more thing triton 75 compared to alpha 90 has a little bit stronger rubber and little bit thinner (maybe lighter) spear but same lenght of spear. Does this mean that Triton will propel it's arrow faster or with stronger impact?

• Always use the thinner more confortable to load rubbers, and the thinner shafts are ok too, since you're trying spearfishing as a sport you can start right in the middle and see If it's your bliss, one of the worst things is to have gear that is difficult to deal with. Get stronger rubbers if you want when you have get used to the basic configuration. I think you can't go wrong with a 90 gun.

Edited once, last by monster slayer ().

• And the wall thickness of the triton you mentioned is perfectly ok, but a thicker stronger barrel is better because it prevents barrel flex, but with twin rubbers this in negligible.