Riffe Competitor Series Butt Extension

• I recently purchased a Riffe Competitor Series #2 and I wanted to know if anyone has tried to add a butt extension on a similar gun? Making it more similar to the x-series.

Thank you.

• There's no point on having a butt extension that doesn't amounts to band stretch and/or overall gun performance IMO. Competitor series are streamlined and light enough to get the job done. I think you'll love it just the way it is... Is like they say ... " If ain't broke, don't fix it" ...

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• I was just thinking it might assist with the loading of the gun, bringing the shark fin tabs a little farther away from my body. But you are right, I don't want to start drilling into the wood and possibly weakening it so I am going to leave it as.

Thank you for the help.

• Monster slayer makes a good point, knowing how to chest (actually stomach) load a speargun comfortably is an asset. But adding a butt extension can be a good thing, for example if you're diving warm water without a wetsuit so no chest loading pad, or if scuba spearfishing 8| and the BCD gets in the way of chest loading. or just for easier loading (I like hip loading).

Remove the one screw securing the red Riffe loading butt to the stock. If I remember right the spigot underneath is round. If it's not round it can be filed a little, with no adverse effect if later on you choose to go back to chest loading. Find an aluminum pipe with an inner diameter matching the spigot. You can search online and buy one of the black loading butts for something like a JBL aluminum tube speargun (they're cheap), or maybe use the same Riffe loading butt. Simply slip it over the tube extension. You can secure the loading butt to the tube section with a screw going in through the side/bottom to stop it from rotating.

I think I had a picture of this I'll try to find it later. The gun will look a little ghetto but the butt extension will work. If you use a carbon tube it may even look good.

And BTW welcome to the forum.

• Also, I was wondering if I could get some feedback on slip tips. I have the regular riffe ice pic slip tip and I wanted to know if it was worth me getting a mini or another brand slip tip? I have a 5/16" shaft with 24mm threads so the tip I have is the smallest I can get from Riffe, unless I get an adapter.

Should I just stick with what I have or try to get something else?

• In the Gulf of Mexico around oil rigs. Mainly encountering red snapper, mangroves, cobia, black grouper, and amberjack.