Taimen Pneumovacuum Speargun

• This Russian pneumovacuum speargun was designed for the lakes and rivers in the Eastern part of Russia on the other side of the Urals. A fast tracking and aiming speargun of greatly reduced dimensions it still floats after the shot thanks to the almost watch like mechanical parts used in its construction. A totally different approach has produced a speargun like no other and the design is always being re-appraised to improve what are already impressive performance figures in order to make the gun more affordable and versatile. The current gun is suitable for marine use as stainless steel, titanium and high grade aluminium alloys are used for the gun's components.

• My "Taimen" sitting on its wash tub and rigged for action, note the reduced dimensions and the finely machined components of the muzzle. Extra holes are there in order to reduce weight, although they also serve as alternate positions for line attachment carabineerspearfishing.world/forum/attachment/10668/

• I have proposed an alloy in-line rigging eyelet for the "Taimen" which screws into the air inlet valve's hand pump thread. Thus if a PV850, PV1000 or PV1200 "Taimen" speargun is used on a very big fish then the gun can be released and a rig line with torpedo float will follow. The "Taimen" handle has no inner bracing strut, hence the butt of the handgrip offers no attachment points.

• Dan, I modified an existing "Taimen" gun profile drawing by having the gun "shoot" and removed the piston from the cocked position, but everything else is from yours truly. When I created the "gun post-dive cleaning by barrel pumping" series of drawings I had a lot of material to draw from. I created the fleeing fish and torpedo float which are of course not to scale.

• The "Taimen" handle has a plastic bung that fits in the rear of the grip section and keeps grit and sand out of the threaded port for the inlet valve. I was always disappointed that it was not a screw in plug as is used on other guns, but it had a rear profile that followed the lines of the rear of the grip handle and thus it was not possible to rotate it. Now with my inline rigging attachment piece being a screw in aluminium item the rear plastic bung can be shortened and sit in directly behind it as is shown on this diagram. Note the access hole running right through the plastic bung for the rig line attachment to pass through.

• Here are some photos of the new replaceable polyurethane bush spear tail. Previously the polyurethane bush was molded over that one-piece tail and there was no easy way to replace it, in fact for this reason I purchased three extra spears with my "Taimen" PVRM600 gun. I had a slight hand in this new design as for some time I had my own thoughts on how to do it. As you can see the rear end of the new tail now screws on in order to trap the polyurethane bush in place and can be tightened up with a thin rod or screwdriver blade passing through a small transverse hole located in the extreme rear. A slight taper on the spear tail prevents any problems with the transverse hole passing through the vacuum cuff. Tension provided by the polyurethane bush being squeezed up prevents the spear tail from unscrewing during use.

• The "Taimen" prices are going up next year by 10%, so if you want to buy one now is the time to do it as by the 27th December (I think, not entirely sure of the date) the old price list ends. In some ways I regret buying the LG-Sub Manilu "Revolution" (yet to arrive) as I was toying with buying a "Taimen" PVM850 or PVM1000.

Here is a short video of a "Taimen" 600 model being unpacked and tested.

https://youtu.be/B_j6yHr_af4

• A new handle for the "Taimen" has been shown recently here:

The rake angle and shape of the grip handle has been changed with perhaps the most noticeable difference being the flattened angular lower section of the finger guard for the trigger. The side-mounted line release lever is now sprung loaded and the old centreline trigger finger guard mounted line release lever has been eliminated. The previous handles needed the wrist angled forwards to point the gun, now the wrist can be more naturally held.

The reason behind the original steep rake angle was to raise the grip pressure up behind the barrel axis as much as possible for such a light gun, however it made the grip awkward for many divers and was not a natural point and shoot for those who had smaller hands.

Edited once, last by popgun pete: changed photos into 2 separate images ().