Demka speargun handle internals

• I've seen a Demka handle and liked the line release system. I don't have one of my own to take apart to figure out how the line release functions. If anyone knows how it works or comes across a diagram of the Demka handle internals, specifically the line release system, please post here.

This handle is not exactly like the one I examined but the line release on this one looks very similar.

• I had demka spearguns aka spetton spearguns. They are VERY accurate but the line release is garbage. Joe my dive buddy had one too and he had the same issues. Jualian and Harolf Dean had issues with the line release. Specially if you are using a reel since it doesn't keep a lot of tension on the line release. If the gun is hooked to a float line and the mono has a strong bungee then it works fine. Julian told me about a little grinding he had to do internally to get it to work right. The mono would catch on the line release after firing limiting the range of the gun greatly. The system is not fast enough to release the mono unless it has a bungee on it. Other than that is very comfortable and durable.

• Thanks Adrian. I didn't have a lot of time to examine it, at first glance though it looked solid. It was a little strange because when pressing the trigger the line release would completely disappear into the slot only to pop back out immediately. Does this sound like what you had? Also looking into the trigger pocket from the bottom I could see a metal part that was made up of various thin plates to achieve the required thickness. I don't know the name for this but there are tools that are made this way as opposed to one solid piece.

• Yeah, that's what happens. The line release catch pops back after the shaft leaves the trigger mech. So, if there is no tension on the mono to remove it from the catch (in that small time frame) it stays caught on the release arm.

• Yeah I lost a nice mutton and several other fish that day.... I never use a bungee on my guns and I have've never had a problem.

• Like I said Dan, you don't use reels so is hard for you to picture it. The only way to do it with a reel is to keep the drag really tight which is a big risk because if you shoot a descent size fish it will take off with the gun or it will burn the drag system of the reel. I have used RA, Aimrite, Seacsub X-Fire, Omer and Beuchat without bungees without problems. The line release arm on all of these guns is completely free after being fired. They go back to position when you put the shaft back into the trigger mech. The demka system release arm is only free for a a split millisecond. I think that is the problem. You mentioned it your self in post # 3. I don't know if continuing to hold the trigger down after firing fixes, I don't think I ever tried it but it should be necessary. Pablo is aware of the issue, he contacted Demka and the bungee is what they told them. Your gun doesn't have this problem you can clearly see that the arm is completely free after firing in the video you posted on the "sneak peak" thread of yours.

• Adrian, that was a good explanation and put everything in perspective, thanks. Based on yours and Joe's observations I'm not going to pursue the Demaka line release further and concentrate on mine. We may have figured out a way to increase the range of motion of the line release even further. I really trust in that system it is foolproof.

Anthony, nice find. I especially liked the spear trajectory part, testing it with the flopper on top and on the bottom. It confirmed something I believed in for a while. Bending the tip of the flopper slightly increases this effect. I'm going to start a thread about this vid.

• Like Adrian said we have use rob allen, x fire, riffe, beuchat, omer, and others and never had any problems... obviously we use a reel on all of our guns.

• If I may ask, can you give a little description on how the bottom release(RA) is best used with a reel?

• I always used the sporasub instinct reel with my rob allens. You have to mount it as close to the handle as possible then you just loop the mono like you normally would to the release arm. At the end the mono is running parallel to the base of the reel with a small offset . I don't have any pictures of it since I don't have my guns with me right now, hope you get the idea.