• i am from alabama i know i will have to have a florida license but i have heard that you can not spearfish off the beach is this true and are there any other places you can not spearfish state parks ect...

• Yes. Florida has some rules that you need to look into. You cannot spearfish within a certain distance (I think it's 100 yds) of a bathing area, or within a certain distance of jetties. In the Pensacola area, you also need to be aware that Ft. Pickens and Ft. McRae are "National Seashores". What this means can vary from day to day, and depends on which Ranger you talk to. I've been checked by the Marine Patrol numerous times without incident when spearfishing on the Bay side of Ft. Pickens, but I was always a good 1/4 mile from the shore. You might have an issue if you tried to make a shore dive entry with a speargun at Ft. Pickens.

Also, be aware that there is a buffer zone around the Navy base. When they established that, they nixed a great Mangrove snapper spot. There is a set of two massive water inlet pipes that extend a couple hundred yards from the base, but I think they are off limits now.

One more thing. I'm not sure what the status of the Battleship Massachusetts is. I think it's some sort of underwater park as well, and I don't know if there are any unusual rules that go along with that.

Sorry, I don't mean to be vague. Those just aren't areas that I frequent, so I only know that the rules have changed many times over the years. But you'll need to call to be sure.