Improving an Ono gun

• Have you contacted Daryl?

What for? I had allready established that the guns are underballasted for the band /shaft configuration. I see a lot of people complaining secretly about their miracolous guns didn´t shoot straight.

If i contacted someone, they would advice to:

Shoot the gun without shooting line
    Shoot the shafts without floppers
    change band sizes
    change shaft size
    change band size and shaft configuration
    Then is probably me ...

lacking both time and inclination, i´ll stick with the Riffes, that shoot perfect even with a bent shaft, busted flopper and coiled shooting line. And still they land the few fishes that come my way.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• Monster, I hate the Wong hybrids but there's not much to the ono gun other than wood and a trigger mech. If the trigger mech holds and the wood is straight then the gun should be configurable to shoot straight at a given distance. Try changing the handle, it's absolute crap.

• Look Dan I positively think that is the problem with the ono, i had split at least four Aimrite handles, from the rear holes due to band force exertion, i guess an Alexander handle will do the trick though. The Ono is impressive and is ballasted for three 5/8´s. I never felt the aimrite handle right in my paws though.

(four bands seems to be too much recoil for it, three are plenty)

• How are you going to say your Riffe shoots straight with a bent shaft? lol...
    You should call Daryl, then after you've given him a chance you can say how crappy the gun is.

• Tako, in fact they do, slightly bent, no problem. Nobody had say that the guns are crap, read a bit more carefully, just they are underballasted for the shaft bands configuration which the guns are rigged out of the box.

• Yeah I know. It is true about the under ballasting. The first time I shot a magnum hybrid with 3 5/8th bands and a 5/16th shaft the gun hit me in the face and tore my mask off. A lot of people also complain about Riffes being over powered out of the box.. Maybe you're used to shooting the bigger Riffe guns and are compensating for the potential shaft drop. I don't really know.. But it sounds like the best thing to do would be to contact the man who built the gun.

• Depending on what you call bent, all shafts are bent including new ones. I think we'd all be surprised at the accuracy you can have with a visibly bent shaft. It also depends on how the bend runs. If it does one of these:

It's a shaft that was bent and improperly straightened leaving a bulge, it's exaggerated in this drawing. I think it will have little effect on accuracy. It will fit and be very usable in a Riffe open track gun but you couldn't even get it to go into an enclosed track gun. Just one example where one gun can handle a bent shaft and another can't.

• Yeah I know. It is true about the under ballasting. The first time I shot a magnum hybrid with 3 5/8th bands and a 5/16th shaft the gun hit me in the face and tore my mask off. A lot of people also complain about Riffes being over powered out of the box.. Maybe you're used to shooting the bigger Riffe guns and are compensating for the potential shaft drop. I don't really know.. But it sounds like the best thing to do would be to contact the man who built the gun.

Man, the guns are nice and properly rigged (two bands and a thinner shaft) they shoot ok. But you get that exact performance with a nice Euro gun.

Daryl is a superb, nice person, is one of the nicests guys i had ever met, but all that inflamatory claims about those guns being extraordinary are just hurting him. i think is not fair for a person to invest in a lifetime rig 1000k and still need modifications. I can tell you about a lot of friends complaining about the performance of the guns. I think he doesn´t have the time anymore to test each one of them to perfection. They are still good quality guns, but a bit expensive for what they offer. Just my honest opinion.

• Depending on what you call bent, all shafts are bent including new ones. I think we'd all be surprised at the accuracy you can have with a visibly bent shaft. It also depends on how the bend runs. If it does one of these:

It's a shaft that was bent and improperly straightened leaving a bulge, it's exaggerated in this drawing. I think it will have little effect on accuracy. It will fit and be very usable in a Riffe open track gun but you couldn't even get it to go into an enclosed track gun. Just one example where one gun can handle a bent shaft and another can't.

All my shafts are bent by now :D I can`t help it, but they still land a few fishes that way.