Hunting in Mexico ...

• Hey Tono,

Back in '01 I sold a small brace of finished English Pointers to an outfit just outside of Cuidad Victoria, or at least that was the name of the airport I flew into a year later to check their progress. Place lays about 150 miles south of Harlingen,Tx.. Rancho Caracol I believe is the name of the outfit although the spelling may be in error.

One thing I noticed , on the way out to the hunting grounds was how common a system of bribery was between the outfitter and local officials . Was it just that I was noticing it as the practice is very much a no-go here, or is it actually pretty common ?

Had a hell of a time by the way.:toast:Only reason I'd take up training bird dogs again would be to reacquaint with wonderful contacts in Mexico ,Chile, and Argentina.

• Aaron, sadly it is a common practice and it is called "mordida", (bite) That´s one thing that should change in this beautiful country. Hunting in México is a thrilling experience, around here the cimarron, (bighorn sheep) is a real sought after trophy, but the license is insanely expensive though.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• Aaron, sadly it is a common practice and it is called "mordida", (bite) That´s one thing that should change in this beautiful country. Hunting in México is a thrilling experience, around here the cimarron, (bighorn sheep) is a real sought after trophy, but the license is insanely expensive though.

Mexican desert bighorns are rated as one of the most expensive hunts going. More so than Marco Polo sheep hunts in Tibet, lions and elephant in Africa, or Dall sheep in Alaska.

You are correct ,though, that Mexico is a great hunting destination. I wish more would capitalize on it. I think many US whitetail hunters are starting to give Mexico it's due as far as media is concerned.But I believe the bureaucracy is intimidating to many.

• interesting, so they have a prohibitively expsensive legal avenue and an established system of bribery. seems like the offical stance is in favor of the bribery almost

i like to spear fish