Adrian's new muzzle

• Why you ask about what kind of PH? Yours or any other slip on should work just the same as long as water didn't enter the shell. Right?

• Yes I have them.

Why you ask about what kind of PH? Yours or any other slip on should work just the same as long as water didn't enter the shell. Right?

You're the one who asked about testing the spike with a PH so I ask which PH, because different PH require different force to detonate. For example a Beco style PH with a moving firing pin I believe would detonate no probelm, all it needs is a light tap, that's just the nature of how it's put together. With such a PH you have to have a safety pin engaged at all times when not about to be used because it's possible that a small vibration will set it off. The quick slip-on PH however has no firing pin, it's spear tip actuated, and will require a hit of a certain force/speed combination to detonate. I believe it's possible with an arm thrust underwater but I've never done it.

• i believe that is what hau intends to test, along with the effect of said detonation on the muzzle....

assuming all goes well, I will be in the market for two PH's and a sweet pouch.

i like to spear fish

• I finally got the time to install my new Tin Man muzzle and to put it into action yesterday [9-20].
    I just got to pull the trigger 3 times as my time and target [fish]availibity was very limited.
    I hit a nice 18in hog 12in in front of my gun:D, a smallish yellow jack speeding by, and a 1 gallon ice tea jug of sand:)
    The muzzle required some "adjusting" to get the muzzle to fit inside my RA CF barrel as I had to file down the muzzle shaft to get it inside the CF barrel. Maybe the CF barrel ID is less than the alum barrel, but it didn't take long and with lube I was able to get the new muzzle in place with perfect barrel/muzzle aleignment
    I went to West Marine and got a small [#4] SS pan head screw and the mounting was done. Took a few minutes to tie a band through the muzzle in the most forward hole and I was ready to kill something.
    In the water the first thing I noticed was that the shaft fell off the rail. The SS line wrap pin on the muzzle needs to be changed for my application [using a reel instead of a line bungy]. Maybe the line pin needs to be longer or better yet have the angle changed to better retain the shaft line. The shaft stayed on the track better once the band was cocked.
    Now I'm in the water with the band cocked and eventually see the hog try to sneak out from under the ledge. I let him relax out in the sand for 5 min or so and then dropped on him till the end of the spear was 12in from his head and he went straight to hog heaven:D
    Next the yellow jack came down the reef at a good clip. I was able to swing and fire and he took shaft down to the sand before he too was in possesion. I was starting to run out of time so I slipped on my old .357 PPD onto the spike [shaft out of the gun], dropped the jug down onto the sand at 30f. I breathed up, dropped down till I was flat in the sand and poked my PPD target. The .357 detonated on contact with the jug and left me in a cloud of sand:thumbsup2: The recoil from the .357 / muzzle / RA 130 with reel was less than a .357 out of a medium frame revolver:D
    In short, the new Tin Man muzzle / spike is perfect for me once I get the line retaining pin bent down more
    Thank you Tin Man for another great product:thumbsup2:

• Thank you for the detail Hau. Which way do you think the pin needs more angle? More to the side, or more forward, or both? Would it be better if the pin were positioned closer to the end of the muzzle?

I was a little afraid that the CF barrel might be slightly different, but it's good to know that it is pretty close.

• I'm not sure how best to change the retaining pin.
    The simplest way for me is to just try to bend the pin down closer to the plane of the muzzle.
    If I can get to a vice I'll try "adjusting" the pin down. I tried that already with a pair of vise grips but the OM construction is so good:D that the pin wouldn't bend.
    If the pin is moved more forward I'm afraid that the string or mono angle will be to great and not want to stay in the groove in the front of the muzzle.

Another important factor for me is that the gun seems to shoot much smoother and quieter with the Tin Man muzzle. The OM RA open muzzle would hang up my QPower line so bad that from time to time the band and line would wrap up on shooting. the line would wrap up and jerk the band clear off the muzzle.:0
    You can imagine what that did for accuracy:(

Sorry but I got to sleep now.

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited once, last by hau ().

• Worked on my Tin Man muzzle this morning.
    I put the muzzle in a vise and flattened down the line retaining pin to very good effect. Now when I invert the barrel and shake the gun the shaft doesn't fall away from the muzzle. I think the problem is almost solved. If the retaining pin were 1/4in longer it would be perfect. The location the pin is in the muzzle is perfect. The left / right heading of the pin is perfect. Just decrease the pin muzzle angle and lengthen the pin a little. With the pin angle decreased now, the pin captures the line much better AND presents a smoother surface for the line to slip past. Just my opinion

Forgot to mention that the spike works VERY good on fearless trigger fish that are determined to bite pieces off my speared fish as I pull them up:thumbsup2:

Hopefully well be back in the water tomorrow to retest the muzzle adjustment and have it perfected by this weekend to show off at the spearin tournament :cool2:

Thanks Tin Man :toast:

edit== ANOTHER thing I forgot to mention is that the Tin Man muzzle is HEAVIER than the OM RA muzzle. For me this is a real advantage as the heavier weight muzzle helps to lessen muzzle flip on firing. Just like barrel weights on target guns. Maybe that is ONE of the reasons that the Tin Man muzzle shoots smother and seems to be more accurate.
    Before changing to the Tin Man muzzle I scared a lot of fish trying to get closer. Now I'm getting ready to put my second band back on for those mac shots 20f away.

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited 3 times, last by hau ().

• my first impression of the muzzle is that it is great...itis my first open muzzle and so i am getting used to the line wrapping and the increased tension needed on the shockcord, but i find the open site soooo much cleaner.

I have only swam around with the gun in my pool to see how it tracks and swings, but i hope to go an chase some fishies around this saturday.

one note about the white muzzle. It is much more likely to get dirty, duh, I used a slightly rusted shaft and it left rust skidmarks on the muzzle. this makes no difference in functionality, but it is a difference that the white brings to the table

i like to spear fish