Gun for a friend

• After much pain trying to get a decent finish the first 100 times I tried to make something out of carbon fiber, Tinman told me to just wipe the epoxy on and while wet try to wipe it off with a clean cloth. If you do this you get a near perfect finish every time (I say near perfect because I haven't done anything perfect yet).

I learned this when I accidentally applied epoxy to the wrong end of the CF tube when making up my hybrid. I hurredly wiped it off and went on with the assembly. Later, I realized that in spite of the dusty shop, the wetted area turned out with a nice clean satin appearance.

Every mistake is a learning opportunity, right?

This is a beautiful gun, by the way. The pictures don't do it justice.

• That has to do with light direction. If it's right it will create a shadow where that concave shape is. Try taking the pics on a sunny day and positioning the gun at different angles to where the sun is shining from, and taking the pics from different directions.

• :)

I like taking pics and editing/enhancing them when I have the time, it relaxes me. It also happens to be a useful skill for marketing purposes. If Chad was here I'd most certainly help him with that.

Chad, noticed you went with a more extreme handle angle on the new gun, forgot to ask how you like it?

• I like the more angled handle - I don't know why it's is better, might just be a personal preference thing?

You are right Dan, I need to stop using my cell phone to take pictures of stuff that I want anyone to appreciate.

Thanks Hau.

• I like the angled handle too. It sandwiches my hand against the stock and this feels nice and secure, provides better leverage on the gun. If the handle was like a stud pointing straight down, when you need to turn it your grip will tend to slide around this stud, you'll need a much stronger grip to stop this effect and turn the gun. When it's angled you don't need to grip it as hard to turn the gun.

• Also the angle on the handle helps alingn your wrist in relation to the side of your hand where your thumb is (turning your fist down much like firing a high caliber handgun) so the recoil don't mess up your wrist on high power guns like those bad boys you got there.:)

• Well I wasn't implying that you don't know all that. I was just trying to define what it is about the angled handle that's so much better. You'd think it's obvious but not all gun builders get it, case in point the old Aimrite handle; so difficult to turn the gun with that handle, the handle turns in your grip instead.

• I wasn't being a smart ass. I ment that I learned something in a good way.

I really didn't know and hadn't given it much thought. It makes sense.

I started making the handles that way just because it felt right. One of the great things about shapelock is that you sort of know it's right when it feels right.