Octopus recipe

• Not :rolleyes1:

I pulled this post from SB. As I read through about half of it I laughed and gave up. Who is going to go through all this trouble to cook an octopus :crazy: The way I prepare it is just throw it into a pressure cooker for 20 min. No cleaning necessary beforehand other than removing the entrails, the skin comes right off using a little bit of finger pressure and the meat is soft enough. Then you can do whatever you want with it.

• Some people like the cooking side of it, putting in time to make something good, and satisfaction from seeing people eat every last bite of it.

I'll smoke a fish 2-3 hours checking it every couple minutes to make sure the temp. and smoke is right to make some good fish dip, there is no other way to make it that good.

I know you look at these things as an "in to out" ratio, but that's not all there is to it....

Why spearfish for 8 hours for a couple fish and spend more time cleaning them, when you can go buy some fresh fillets for a whole lot less :crazy:?

Davie Peguero

• Bad comparison. Hunting and cooking are two separate things. The point is that the emphasis was made on the outcome being soft, very soft. Well, if I pressure cook the octopus for 30min instead of 20 it will be soft like mush. Who's to say that my easy way will not taste as good as that complicated way. I find that much of the time people complicate the matter just because the recipe was handed to them that way, without analyzing what effect each part of the process actually has. One of the best examples of this is marinating for hours, when in fact many foods don't absorb the taste of the marinade, you only taste whatever's on the outside of the meat. If you were to wash the meat with water you'd realize it has acquired none of the taste. Same with rice. As such a simpler and easier way of doing it is just adding the marinade or sauce on top. Hey, to each their own, I thought someone would see my point and get a kick out of it.

Smoking is a whole other ball game, there's no getting around the time factor there. Still doesn't compare to the 2 day recipe above..

• I don't agree with any of that, cooking can be one of the most complicated things and each part has it's reasons, we have been doing it for thousands of years and still you'd think it would be more clear.

Only way is you'd have to try both methods and serve to an unbiased person.

Perhaps we should ask the chef, I'm sure he doesn't just boil stuff then put sauce on it.

Davie Peguero

• Octopus can either be slow cooked(many ways even grilled) or pressure cooked, for many recipes, but what I've seen is that everyone has some sort of freezing or blanching before this.
    I love warm Octopus salad, preferably grilled.

• while i agree that people enjoy the process of certain things I'll also state that this specific one freeks me out completely. I enjoy cooking but this seems like torture to me. A pressure pot will do the job just fine without the ritual . If anyone out there is ready to go through the whole ritual please let me know in the second day of it so i can try both recipies and see which is better though i confess I'm more into the pressure pot if i had to do it myself.

• Thanks for posting the simple verson, Dan

I saw a local new crew go into a Cuban family restaurant and the mother said just silt open and dip it "she stressed it numerous times" dip it 3x then let it alone about 1 hour.

We are starting to catch them in the stone traps and I wanted to try them.

would you Ceviche it the same way you would any other fish ????