Hey from Deerfield Beach!

• Hello to all,

Moved to Deerfield Beach a bit ago and discovered everything is right in my backyard. I live 300 steps from the water, give or take, depending upon the tide. Swimming is great, surfing is just down the beach, and Trespass is 100 yards away. Imagine my delight when I discovered there is a progression of 3 reefs off Trespass. Haven't done much diving since I lived in Key West for 3 years in the early 70's, been living to far inland since then. So, it's time to get back to it and maybe have some really fresh fish for dinner on the weekends.

Regards,
    Jim

• Welcome to the best Spearfishing Forum out there. You will find a lot of great information here and members that are willing to help you get dialed in. Good luck and show us your big fish stories:toast:

• Welcome Panther, I live in Boca and grew up in deerfield, trespass was my home for years and stilll surf there when we have waves, yup, good diving off there as well, hit me up and we will go one day.

• howdy friend...welcome to a great place to have a few laughs and share some stories while learning a lot from some really great divers, who also happen to be really good people

disagreements are welcomed but disrespect is not tolerated...pretty much prefect

i like to spear fish

• Well, thanks for the many welcomes! Sounds like a nice place to hang out. I'm actually a Florida native, grew up on a lake in the country in Central Florida orange grove country, so I'm liking living on the beach and the hospitality here is like in the country.

My first request is probably to Black1... Can you tell me the layout of the reefs off Trespass, such as how far out and how deep each one is? My understanding is there is a series of 3 reefs out there...

Jim

• Yeah there are 3 reefs, 1st one is about quarter mile out in roughly 35ft to 45ft of water, then there is 2nd reef which is about a mile off shore and is between 50ft and 75ft of water, then there is 3rd reef which is about 11/2 to 2 miles out and goes to about 100ft and deeper in spots. The reefs out there are mostly "flat" type reefs with a few small ledges and areas with boulder size rocks, nice reef though with a good number of Hog fish and sporadic grouper, muttons and mackerel. There are also many lobsters as well, but, 2nd and 2rd reef have more fish and also more people diving on them daily, lot's of scuba spearing going on and they just rape the reef alot of times.
    Going from the beach you need to have a good size flag and a float so those crazy weekend warrior boaters can see you, even then it can be dangerous, best to do it on a weekday. A little secret most don't know about, about 2oo yards off the Deerfield pier in 35ft of water running north and south for a little ways there is what we call Junk reef. This is all the parts and scrap junk they used when they built the pier back in the day, tires, pipes and cement blocks all filled with lobsters, good little dive spot to clean up on them, most never go there because they think they have to get them on 2nd and 3rd reef.

• Thanks for the info. This forum is a wealth of information, and I'm learning shore diving here is totally different than my shore diving days in the Keys years ago, such as the need for floats, large flags, etc. Lots of ingenuity going on here, which will help me get in the water more prepared and safer, resulting in more fun!

• Hello to all,

Moved to Deerfield Beach a bit ago and discovered everything is right in my backyard. I live 300 steps from the water, give or take, depending upon the tide. Swimming is great, surfing is just down the beach, and Trespass is 100 yards away. Imagine my delight when I discovered there is a progression of 3 reefs off Trespass. Haven't done much diving since I lived in Key West for 3 years in the early 70's, been living to far inland since then. So, it's time to get back to it and maybe have some really fresh fish for dinner on the weekends.

Regards,
    Jim

Jim, My name is Leonard, junior member. Like you, I have done a lot of spearfishing around Key West years and years ago. My dad was in the navy and we were stationed there. I live in Georgia now, and have for most of my adult life. I too am returning to freediving and spearfishing this Summer. Training in area pools right now to gain fitness needed for the ocean. Planning our first dive trip to South Florida in early May. Comming home after all these years. Can barely wait. Good luck to you.