Diving on an empty stomach

• I agree with Marcos that the nut bars are good compromise but I can't just take a bite. If I start eating it, I have to finish it. So its just water or gatorade for me.

• For me the best way is to get a hour early and eat a good breakfest and tons of water.And during the day trail mix ,sweet and salty and oatmeal cookies with more water.I dont drink to much gatorade because of the sodium.

• next time do a science experiment..dont eat before diving and just drink water.and see what the difference is in your bottom time.
    food in the digestive tracks robs 02 from your blood.

• I always say that we must defferentitate our sport (spearfishing) with pure freediving. Freediving is aboutt a couple of dives at your maximum dept/bottom time. Spearfishing is about a whole day in the water swimming, hoping into a boat, fighting a fish, etc... I don't really mind sacrifying a couple seconds bottom time but feeling strong for many hours.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• well said Marco, I agree, I hate feeling that low blood sugar lull, makes me want to nap in the yak...half a peanut butter and jelly later and I feel like the hulk

i like to spear fish

• i think a good breakfast is good.it keeps you going all day without having to eat again untill you are done. I can do it no problem. just don't eat too much.

• Resurrecting an old thread,
    Just wanted to share what works for me:
    (1) banana muscle milk (there's no dairy in it so sinus issues aren't provoked)
    (1) can of coconut water (very hydrating)
    My advice is don't overdo it on the coconut H20 cuz it can cause diarrhea. Lol.
    After dive: fish and beer

• Ill chime in too....I dont eat at all the day of, just liquids. I will try to drink an entire gallon the night before. Around halfway through ill munch on a oats and honey or pnut butter bars, sometimes a little bit of chicken If i eat, smoke or drink coffee any more then a 3-5 hours before a dive, ill notice my bottom times decrease and I feel like im going to suffocate after a 30 second drop.

• I hate being full when I dive. Im alright if I eat a small meal, a while before but I definitely notice my dive times drop. I was actually talking to Judah about this a while ago and he said he has issue with acid reflux if he doesnt eat. I've never had that problem but its interesting how different each persons reaction is.