Super easy trigger silencer

• I really don't know if a trigger silencer has any real advantage. But if you want to give it a try, I don't think that you will find anything easier than this.

I found these EPDM rubber rivets at http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/setof4fanrid.html They appear to be used as fasteners / vibration isolators for computer cooling fans. Anyway, the shape is perfect for installing in the top of a trigger mech to cushion the sear from making the sharp metallic contact with the top of the mech when fired.

Here are the rubber rivets:

They couldn't be any easier to install. A 9/64" hole in the top of the mech is a snug fit. Then cut off the bottom half of the rivet, and pull the thin top of the rivet through the mech, from the inside out. Then trim the remainder. Done. The mech is almost dead silent on the benchtop. Just a dull, cushioned "bump" when fired. I have no idea how well they will hold up long term, but at $1.75 plus postage for 4, they are cheap and easy to replace.

• I checked it with two different shafts, a Riffe and a Ray Odor. Both release cleanly, with no apparent interference from the silencer. There is a detectable double click when the shaft is loaded. With the Riffe shaft, it is barely noticeable, and you probably wouldn't notice the difference if you did not know the silencer was there. With the Odor shaft, you can feel two clicks as the shaft is loaded. I'm not sure what the first is, but it is the second click that indicates the mech is cocked.

I didn't take any measurements, but visually, I notice that the end of the Odor shaft has a substantial chamfer, whereas the Riffe is square cut.

Edit - I just compared it to an unmodified Neptonics mech, and noted the same double click with the Odor shaft. So there does not appear to be any difference in either loading or firing due to the silencer.

Edited once, last by Guest ().

• Dan - My approach wasn't very scientific, and may not be optimal. I just positioned the trigger internals on the outside of the mechanism housing, and picked a spot that was near the tip of the sear, but not quite at the very tip where it engages the trigger.

• It's one of the old PoseidonSub mechs by Steve Verso. I think the same rivet would work with any of the mainline mechs, as the top housing thicknesses are reasonably close, and the rivet is pretty elastic.