UW Video questions/answers

• I put this thread here because I want to UW video while spearing.
    I have done a lot of spearing in the last 30+yrs, but am a newbe to this UW video thing and have a lot to learn to produce nice videos. I'm hoping that ANYBODY with UW video questions and constructive/positive/helpful answers will post here.

1. What zoom setting should I set my cam at for best uw videos?
    Thanks

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited once, last by hau ().

• I asked about the zoom thing because my Panasonic FX37 will video record all the way up to 23X, but most other spearos videos I watch the fish is almost impossible to see in the video at the time of the shot. I know that more zoom means more camera vibration but I was wondering what the BEST zoom setting I should set at. Unless I'm mistaken, 5X makes the subject appear "normal" size.
    Sorry for the newbe questions

• My FX37 manual says that zoom above 5X (digital zoom) can distort the image, so looks like the zoom answer for my FX37 is 5X.
    I also found "YouTube for Dummies" that I'm going to buy:)

UW video spearos---next stupid newbe question== Is this the correct procedure?
    1. Shoot my UW video, then plug my camera into my laptop and download into Panasonic PhotoFunStudio.
    2. Then edit my UW video in PhotoFun Studio.
    3. Then send my video to YouTube.
    4. Then copy/paste the picture or video from YouTube to freedivingspearfishing.com Is that correct?
    Thank you for helping me with my stupid newbe questions.

• I've already given you the answer but I'll explain a little more.

Do not use digital zoom, it will make an already crappy picture even crappier.

Do not use optical zoom, you'll run into digital zoom as you're messing around with the button. You will not have time underwater to use the zoom function. The optical zoom available to you doesn't make much of a difference underwater anyways. Just leave it at no zoom and vary the distance between you and your objective.

Uploading to youtube:

You'll need a youtube account.

You'll need the video file in your PC.

I can't comment on editing the video because every program is different and so is the kind of editing you will want to do. The most common editing is cutting and joining video segments. You also will probably want to encode the finished video file to a video format that will make the file smaller, otherwise it will take too long to upload to youtube.

If your video segment is short you may get away with uploading it to youtube without encoding it to a different format. The camera will usually give you a .AVI file to start with and those files are too big to upload to youtube if the video is anything more than a minute long. If the video is longer I usually encode it to .WMV (windows media video) format. Youtube encodes it again anyways to .FLV format.

Every time you encode the video loses quality so you want to minimize the amount of steps. In the worst case it should be:
    .AVI file - Cut and join segments - .AVI file - .WMV file - youtube

Once you have the finished file you go to your youtube account and upload it.

Once it's uploaded and processed you copy the direct link to the video and paste it into any post.

So easy a caveman can do it :)

• Dan----thanks, I just wanted to verify that I had the progression correct.
    sdeisen---thanks, I'm getting it now. I can get a video from PhotoFunStudio to YouTube to freedivingspearfishing.
    I just didn't understand where I EDIT the video.
    Dan---you edit in PhotoShop correct?
    My EDIT site would be PhotoFunStudio that came with the camera.
    I think my problem is in PhotoFunStudio. It is version 2.1E and the FX37 in HD Video requires version 4.0.

Thanks for the help:thumbsup2:

(Still looks like my YOUNGER brother)

• Sorry, I have no idea about your software. Photoshop is for editing images, we're talking about editing video. For editing video I use a few different programs depending on the complexity of the editing. Each program has its own learning curve.

Windows comes with a program called movie maker. Movie maker should be able to do everything you'll need to start.

• Dan---thanks
    sdeisen---thanks. Yea, exactly. I would like to have videos like greekdiver, but just a basic high quality HD video with sound is my goal. (I've received a lot of good natured pressure here on freedivingspearfishing to produce pictures and videos of spearin so I'm trying :))
    Thanks brothers :toast:

• Here is my first attempt at doing it. I didn't like that if your video is longer than 9 minutes youtube won't accept it. So until I get better with the editing thing I will stay with vimeo, the camera is a Panasonic FX-35 on the lowest setting.

http://vimeo.com/7516014

Edited once, last by cww: forgot to post the link ().

• I want to say thank you to sdeisen.
    He stopped by and saved me :thumbsup2:
    sdeisen either felt sorry for me or got tired of my stupid newbee video/computer questions.
    He came over and spent hours fixing my laptop AND installing a "recommended" video editing program titled PowerDirector
    Seems that the "PhotoFunStudio" that came with my FX37 is some BS program almost impossible to operate for a normal user. No wonder me with my caveman computer skills couldn't get the damn thing running
    PowerDirector looks like a real editing program, that even a caveman can figure out. We will see

Thank you to the spearos that have helped me with THIS project: :hail1: Dan, sdeisen, greekdiver, cww180

Spearfishing Store

Edited 6 times, last by hau ().

• cww180---GREAT :thumbsup2:
    That makes at least 3 of us here on freedivingspearfishing.com that are using essentually the same camera.:thumbsup2:
    Thanks cww180 for the vimeo tip

Spearfishing Store

Edited 2 times, last by hau ().

• cww180---I just now saw your cww180 FIRST video. IMO that is a GREAT start :thumbsup2:
    Is that the Dania Pier Euro Jaxs?

I started this thread as a learning tool for me AND others.
    Do u mind if I offer some suggestions that could help u?
    1. Your FX35 has an "economy" setting. What it does is shut the cam off automaticly after a certain time (off, 2min, 5min, 10min) u select. When the FX shuts itself off, all u have to to to start recording is click the shutter once and video is rolling:)
    2. Is that a RA Tuna? I might suggest using 1 band while shooting smaller fish against the concrete jaxs. U can leave the other band on the gun, just not stretch it onto the shaft.
    3. I run my reel line from the reel up through the Muzzle Line Guide Eye and then to the spear. To me the gun feels better with the line out the muzzle line guide and is the "normal" designed rigging that works for me. Also, IF that is a RA reel u are using and u shoot a bigger fish and he pulls hard in the opposit direction your gun is pointed, the reel can slide back and OFF the mount (if u are NOT using the muzzle line guide).:@
    (Tin Man custom muzzles that I use come standard WITH line guides:D)

All this is above just my humble personal opinion in an effort to help
    NICE video :toast:

Spearfishing Store

Edited 7 times, last by hau ().

• LunkerBuster---Thank u brother:toast:
    So far this video project has cost me $910. :(
    But to me it is worth it because of all the positive attrubutes spearin videos can provide.
    1. Entertainment
    2. Educational
    3. Research and design
    4. Legal evidence
    etc

• If the fish huggers continue their victories against spearfishing, I will be one of the few left to have a reason to get into the water. I'll just b hunting with my cam instead of a spear (honest officer, thats the truth ;) ) ( freedivingCAMfishing.com ) :(
    Thank you to the spearos that have helped me with THIS project: Dan, sdeisen, greekdiver, cww180

Spearfishing Store

Edited 6 times, last by hau ().