Speardiver marseilles rubber weight belt

• The Speardiver Marseilles rubber weight belt is now available. These rubber belts are very good, as a matter of fact they're the best I've seen.

What I consider a good quality in a rubber weight belt is a correct flexibility versus stiffness ratio. The rubber of a Rob Allen belt for example is too stiff and plastic like. It holds weights very firmly against the body (the weights don't sag), but it's not at all flexible, and when tightened to the point of staying put doesn't allow the expanding torso to stretch it when breathing in. The rubber of an omer weight belt on the other hand is too soft, it stretches well to fit your body and expands with breathing, but it's not stiff enough and the weights pull the belt away from the body. I guarantee that the Speardiver belt rubber is ideal in stiffness and flexibility. The belt can be tightened so the weights stay put, and comfort is maintained.

The belts are Marseilles style, which basically means that the buckle is like a typical belt buckle, manufactured in nickel coated brass ideal for use in a marine environment. For those who may not be aware a Marseilles style belt is a safest quick release belt, one pull on the loose belt end and buckle springs open releasing the belt, which smoothly runs out of the buckle by the action of the roller.

The advantages of a rubber belt for a freediving spearo is that it can be tightened to the point of not sliding up and down the torso during descents and ascents, due to the repeated compression and expansion cycles of our wetsuit and body. And it doesn't impede breathing because it's flexible and stretches with the expanding torso. Anyone who tried diving with a rubber belt will never go back to nylon webbing.

Specs:
    Thickness 0.2" (5mm)
    Width 1.9" (4.9cm)
    Length 62" (157.5cm)
    Number of holes 15
    Spacing between holes 1.77" (4.5cm)

• Have you thought about offering two rubber stiffnesses?

There's such a huge difference between the couple pounds used with a 1.5mm & the 20 or so some use with 7mm suits.

That & just plain old personal preferences. ;)

• awesome Dan...good to know...please put one aside for me too..

I was wondering what the maitenence is like on the buckle for rust...just rinse after use or does it require oil to keep rust away... I have had nickle rust super fast on me in the past.

i like to spear fish

• I got the belt and see why you liked it Dan. I agree that it is the right amount of stretchy and very solid.

It can be used with the Tinman's pinch weights, but you must do the following:
    (1) Cut the end of the belt to make it more pointed (must do this with all belts).
    (2) Thin the end of the belt to get it started through the weight (Took about 30 seconds on a belt sander).
    (3) You must put a foot on the belt and pull with one hand stretching the belt when moving the weights around on the belt.

If you do these things the belt works great with TinMan's weights. In fact it's pretty impressive how securely they are held in place.

BTW, the belt is super long I have a 36" waist and cut about 14-16 inches off the belt. Still have extra holes in case I get in better shape and need to snug it down another hole or 2.

• Looking good Dan. From time to time, people ask me for the smaller 1.25 lb weights, which I don't make for sale any more. Do you intend to offer them, and should I direct those inquiries to you?

• I'd like to offer them. Let me think about it.

BTW I don't know what happened but all the weights came out 1.3lb. I think before you changed the mold they were at 1.25lb. They should've been lighter now not heavier. But I"m good with 1.3lb.

One of the reasons I don't like the bigger weights is that they sag away from the body more. With these new belts however I don't think it's going to be an issue because of the stiffness. I may want to try the heavier weights now.

• I'm not sure, but I may have cut them a little deeper when I modified your mold last time to accept thicker belts. I remember thinking that the web closest to the body was pretty thin, and I worried about accidental damage.

One other thing to consider is the source of your lead. Pure lead will be a little heaver than "wheel weight" lead, which usually has tin and other stuff mixed in.

• I just got mine in the mail today and I'm very happy with it. It is just as Dan described it as far as flexibility and stretch goes. It has a good feel to it and the sex bolts that keep the buckle in place are removable in case you ever need to replace the buckle or repair the belt in that area. Good job.