Devastation in South Florida coastal waters. Unusual cold temperatures bring havoc

• :(Very sad to see how thousands of fish had perished because of the extremely low temperatures we have being sustaining for quite a long, if yet intermittent, period.:confused1:

Now we see the news of about 250 manatees (all the way from Biscayne Bay down to Key West) that died because of hypothermia. The marine biologist on TV explained that they become lethargic, sink and are unable to float back to the surface in order to breath!:@

Like if that wasn't enough, the coral reefs have also been severely damaged by those same extremely low temperatures. And tomorrow, Thursday 25, we have yet another cold front coming in! In my local waters 3mm wet suit used to be enough...no any more!:sad2:

Rethinking very seriously my ping pong affection...:laughing2:

• Welcome to the forum Rick.

This is the first I hear of it. Sounds like a natural event that our local marine species should be able to adapt to. I can tell you that at least off Miami we're seeing adult grouper in places where they were scarce before. My friend Pantoja says it's because of the cold water but it started to happen very shortly after the grouper closure.

• Here's a link http://www.wptv.com/content/we…hNhZwFgEiEqrZ-oW1Jkw.cspx It's sad, I never thought it gets too cold for them over here.

TALLAHASSEE, FL (AP) -- More than 100 manatees have been found dead in Florida waters since the beginning of the year, most of them victims of a nearly two-week cold snap.
    The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission says the preliminary cause of death for 77 of the endangered animals is cold stress. They were found from Jan. 1 through Jan. 23.
    The Sunshine State saw about two weeks of unseasonably cold weather starting around the first of the year that killed fish and stunned thousands of sea turtles.
    Officials say the numbers of dead manatees from the cold is a record for a single year. The previous record, last year, was 56 deaths from cold stress.

• I guess I haven't mentioned it, but down in the Keys we had Mangos,Muttons,Grunts,Snook,and baitfish all floating at surface on their last breath or dead. My brother went fishing at Flamingo and was able to catch Snook by hand!! FWC was right there nobody took home anything,just let them die.