How to repair open cell wetsuit

• For most repairs I first Superglue the spot together and then cover the area with Aquaseal on the outside and inside.

• Don't know about using Aquaseal for neoprene repair in wetsuits. I've used Aquaseal to fix rubber fin pockets by using the tire tube scuffer that comes in a bike tire repair kit. Use the scuffer and scuff the shit out of the rubber surrounding the tear. Get inside and outside the footpocket. Liberally apply Aquaseal inside and out and also where the tear makes contact with itself. Let dry, and enjoy being a sly bastard with your newly repaired fin pockets.

PS when using the Aquaseal you might as well line up a few things to fix at one time because the stuff is almost always dried up in the tube when you go to use it again.

• NEVER use aquaseal or superglue to repair wetsuits, at least not the good quality comfortable open cell ones. Use a specific neoprene glue like this one Open Cell Wetsuit Repair Glue which will be as flexible as the wetsuit.

Aquaseal (and superglue) will form a tough spot right in the repair area making it uncomfortable and you can be sure that it will tear right were the repair is again. If it is a double lined suit, it will not tear but will be uncomfortable.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• If you hold the tear together from the inside of the suit with masking tape, and then only apply the Aquaseal on the outside there is no comfort issues. Wait for the glue to harden then peel the tape off of the inside. Should be a nice smooth seal inside with no discomfort. I've repaired my Omer top like this at least 15 times with no issues of discomfort at all. I would say Aquaseal inside of the suit may be uncomfortable depending on where the hole is. That's my 2 cents.

• To be clear (no pun intended, Aquaseal is a clear/transparent glue :)) Aquaseal is a brand name that manufactures a few different excellent repair materials, the most well known and recognizable of which is "Aquaseal" by Aquaseal, this particular adhesive is no good for open cell wetsuit repair. However Aquaseal does manufacture a wetsuit neoprene specific glue which is the good stuff, don't confuse the two. The repair process also depends on the type of tear/how bad it is, and how professional you want the repair to be. For proper repair of the inside of open cell suits this is the only glue https://spearfishing.store/ope…wetsuit-repair-glue-black the color is black so it will match the look of the neoprene and the repair will not be visible.

If it's a big tear that went right through the suit there's an additional step and repair material. After you lined up the edges of the tear and glued them with the neoprene glue, the nylon lined exterior should be reinforced where the tear is. Use this iron on patch https://spearfishing.store/wetsuit-repair-patch

Krazy glue will bond the edges of neoprene as soon as you touch them together and will kill the elastic properties of the neoprene around the application. Like Marco said the repair area will be hard and if it's on the inside of an open cell suit you will feel it. I repaired wetsuits with Aquaseal (the one pictured below) when I didn't know any better and was using double lined suit. DO NOT use this Aquaseal.

• I should take a picture of a big "7" repair I have of a "chicle" wetsuit.... It is like 13" long. Just used neoprene glue and it's holding well.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.