GoPro HD Underwater Blurry Fix

• I have the Gopro HD Hero cameras in stock with an offer which I think is the best on the market for divers http://www.freedivingspearfish…-gopro-hd-hero-naked.html When you buy the camera you get a free flat lens that fixes the focus problem. The lens is also available separately for $43.

I went with the "naked" package because none of the other Gopro packages include anything we can use to mount the camera on the speargun. There is one accessory sold separately that we can use and it's the tripod mount which retails for $8.

This tripod mount will easily secure the camera to one of Tin Man's mounts, and allow pivoting from left to right. Together with the up and down pivot already built into the camera housing this will point the camera exactly where you're aiming with the gun. For a wood gun the Tin Man mount is even simpler, I'll post a pic of this when I install it on my gun.

BTW the easiest way to mount the Gopro on a wood speargun is with the supplied adhesive base, and adding a couple of flush screws, directly to the top of the gun just behind the trigger mech. This eliminates the necessity of side to side pivoting. However in that position even if you shoot instinctively the camera interferes with aiming.

* Note the camera pictured with this speargun is not the Gopro HD Hero.

For reference here's greekdiver's video shot with the Gopro HD Hero and the modified underwater housing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFs86FFllpY

• Tin Man, not sure if you saw my post in the other thread regarding your mounts. I would like to order one for my Riffe Euro 100X. How do I need to go about doing this? Thanks

• Dan- Tinman's mount is not a plug and play compatable item with this mount...the exposed threads on Jeff's mount are longer than the total depth of the tri pod mount so once you fully screw the mount into the screw it is not firmly secured...it moves freely from left to right....I solved this by flipping Jeff's mount and adding the gopro mount to the underside...I will add pics to clarify

seadub- that fix is a bag that has a flat lens...supposedly he has a "bag-less" fix that will be released tomorrow, don't know about that yet though

i like to spear fish

• Seadub - I must have missed your other post. I'll send you a PM.

Edit - It doesn't appear that you can receive PM's?

Easy enough for me to make the camera mount screw shorter, if I know that it needs to fit a GoPro housing. I'll measure LunkerBuster's housing while I have it.

• Jeff, the screw and the housing you have are fine...I will explain with a picture later...it is the tripod mount that is just not deep enough..shortening the screw by ____________(length to be added once i use my calipers later) would be a perfect fix.

Dan- you know how poorly I handled the hacksaw at your house...i reluctantly cut metal :) I was honestly afraid I would destroy the screw and it wasn't worth it given how easy the fix was for me.
    clearly using the tripod mount is superiour bc, as you said, you can adjust side to side as well.
    One thing I like about my rig is that I can mount the camera higher in relation to the gun without the bracket interfering with the bands. and theoretially I could mount two camera on it, one facing the target, one facing me or the side...not really an application screaming for use, but an idea I had rolling around in my noggin

i like to spear fish

• seadub- that fix is a bag that has a flat lens...supposedly he has a "bag-less" fix that will be released tomorrow, don't know about that yet though

LB, yeah I just spoke with him and he is going to pressure test it today or tomorrow. I asked about the 140' range and he was not sure if the glue would hold up but would let me know. I will keep everyone up to date on what I hear.

• for some reason it says I do not have permission for PM's yet? Not sure. Again my email is above if that is better. I would like to order a mount for sure.

• Would it be helpful if I supplied the mounts with the rubber pad loose? That way, you could just peel the protective layer off the VHB tape and stick it on whichever side you prefer?

no, truely your mount is perfect..it is their mount that is too shallow, if your screw was just a hair shorter it would be a perfect fit...I'll measure the crap out of the tripod mount tonight and update here

i like to spear fish

• the hole on the trippod mount is 7mm deep but it only accepts 6mm of the screw..the mount is about 1 mm about the pad so shortening the screw 2mm would get it snug in the pad...not a lot of screw in the other mounts though for stability...might not be worth it...you need me to send you these parts too jeff?

i like to spear fish

Edited once, last by LunkerBuster ().

• ...you need me to send you these parts too jeff?

No need. Thanks to your detailed pics, I think I understand. I agree that 5mm of a 1/4"-20 screw doesn't leave much thread engagement. So I will probably keep making them like they are, but I will make it a point to ask if the user has a GoPro camera. In those cases, I can easily supply a shorter knob.

Another easy mod would be to remove the snap ring, and put a 1-2mm stack of washers under the head of the knob. But that defeats the purpose of the snap ring, which is to keep you from inadvertently losing the knob.

• So I have been following this thread...or trying to.

Dan,

Will you only be selling the HD Hero naked and we will be responsible for the modifications, or are you hoping to incorporate that into the camera you sell?

All,

I see that the eyeofmine now has the permanent lens to attach to the camera. I assume this is effectively what you guys have been working towards.

I will be using the camera mainly in the bahamas so attaching it to a speargun is not a viable option. I was thinking of the camera, peremanent lens fix, and a head strap. I do not think the bag that eyeofmine is selling works with the head strap...but I might be wrong.

I am open to suggestions or comments. Especially if their is a more apt camera for my use at around the same price of $400.

• Hi Jason, yes, the eyeofmine fixed lens is the idea we are all kicking around, however the first thought is to make it removable and hopefull a little more elegant than the eye of mine fix.

I know the Greekdiver was usingthe GoPro on his head and he had found that the strap alone was deficient and that using a neoprene hat or hood was the way to keep it stable. his video was excellent and the rig was clearly working

i like to spear fish

• Jason, I will not be selling the camera modified. I will sell it with a fix only if Gopro makes it. If Tin Man comes up with a good fix I may make it available through my store apart from the Gopro, if it's something he wants to do.

I've been playing with the idea of attaching the Gopro to my mask. I think I have it pretty much figured out and will make it over the next couple of days.