what type of kayak should I get???

• Im thinking about getting a kayak to spearfish from and have been looking all over craigslist for ideas. Problem is I dont know which ones are better or worse to use... Im looking for a single person kayak, if anyone has any insight or knows anyone selling please let me know.

thanks, mike

• scupper pros are ideal, but there's other options. 12+ foot, sit on top with hatches are goood criteria to look for.
    theres a lot of ppl here who are really kayak savvy, im sure they'll include some goood input

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• Steven really just hit the nail on the head....more than 12 feet long, sit on top and hatches.

the thing about buying a kayak is this....so many folks buy a brand new kayak and dont know anything...after they have one failed trip or several months without ever using it at all, they end up on craigslist...as a result there are a lot of yaks that get sold in great shape at a huge loss to the original buyer.

Ocean kayak, wilderness systems, hobie, cobra, and emotion all make great yaks, as does RTM.

start by looking for anything by those makers and you will be looking at quality producvts at least, then plan based on the size of you, the amount / size of your gear and the type of use you want (strictly freediving or will you also bring tanks occasionally, always solo or might you want to use the yak for two sometimes, are you interested in fishing as well) an then use that info to narrow down the choices.

my favorite yak is the scupper pro and then the 15 ft trident, both by Ocean kayak.

I have a scupper clone (currently w steven) and it does many things as well but not everything. it is faster but less stable (that is the perception by prism)

I have heard of people being obsessed with their RTM discos but i have never used one.

let us know what kind of deals you find and we'll chime in with reviews..good luck and welcome to the plastic navy

i like to spear fish

• im 6'1" about 200 pounds only going to be freediving from it and I use a polespear not a gun so I wont have much gear... I have a gmc sierra so i guess size really isnt a factor although I wanted to keep it fairly small for transport to/from ocean from parking lot. ill scour craigslist and see what I find, approximately what should I expect to pay?? I see some on there used for 1000+ others are in the 500 range....:crazy:

• I think most people will tell you thats a good deal, as long as the condition is good. Supposedly its like a smaller version of the scupper, at 350 its a good deal

• i own the prism, Steve is using it now, it is 14'4" and a great yak...check the gaskets around the hatches as they are poorly designed and will cost you 30$ each hatch to replace them, not a big deal, but worth checking...also, what does the bottom look like (scratches are normal, deep gouges are bad. and check inside the scupper holes for any cracking, that is typically the thinnest part of the plastic and often the first place you will see damage....

.....does this prism have two or four scupper holes? the older model had two and was regarded as a great yak, the newer one has four and I have read mixed reviews

also, what brand paddle? if it is a nice paddle, go for it. if not offer 300 :D as a comparison, I bought mine for 200 but it is close to 20yrs old now...still in showroom condition, sort of ;)

i like to spear fish

• I think most people will tell you thats a good deal, as long as the condition is good. Supposedly its like a smaller version of the scupper, at 350 its a good deal

it is a scupper clone Jamie, but I believe they are the same length, the difference is that the Prism has a 'hybrid' hull, in that is much closer resembles a racing hull and has no skeg. the scupper has a defined skeg and is generally flatter. Some will tell you that the prisim is faster, but that has a lot to do with the paddler (hau flies past me) and the scupper is MUCH more stable

i like to spear fish

• i own the prism, Steve is using it now, it is 14'4" and a great yak...check the gaskets around the hatches as they are poorly designed and will cost you 30$ each hatch to replace them, not a big deal, but worth checking...also, what does the bottom look like (scratches are normal, deep gouges are bad. and check inside the scupper holes for any cracking, that is typically the thinnest part of the plastic and often the first place you will see damage....

.....does this prism have two or four scupper holes? the older model had two and was regarded as a great yak, the newer one has four and I have read mixed reviews

also, what brand paddle? if it is a nice paddle, go for it. if not offer 300 :D as a comparison, I bought mine for 200 but it is close to 20yrs old now...still in showroom condition, sort of ;)

sorry new to yak terms what/where are the scuppers... nothing listed about the paddle just that its included, i dont even know what a nice paddle would be or look like...

http://www.searchtempest.com/results.php?Region=na&catname=boats&citySelect=zip&zip=33071&maxDist=500&crossBorder=&showeb=1&showaz=&search_string=prism&search_string_neg=&keytype=all&category=8&subcat1=ccc&subcat2=eee&subcat3=ggg&subcat4=hhh&subcat5=jjj&subcat6=ppp&subcat7=res&subcat8=boa&subcat9=bbb&hasPic=1&addThree3=&minAsk4=min&maxAsk4=max&bedrooms=&minAsk6=min&maxAsk6=max&minAsk8=&maxAsk8=

theres the link if you want to take a look, hes got 2 pictures posted but neither one is great

• the scupper holes are the holse that allow water to pass through the kayak, they will be easy to id under the kayak

that kayak has four, so it is the new one and it looks to be in great shape!! i would say give it a once over(especially the bottom) in person and ask if they will take 300, and if not, go for it..it looks un used

i like to spear fish

• http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/boa/1813339227.html

ok I just found this one and its very local to me (20-30mins.) a little expensive but I hope I can talk him down a bit. he said its an aquaterra prism, which from a quick google search looks like its the same as a perception prism. What do you guys think? I asked him about it and why hes selling he said "cuz im a lazy fuck and got a boat" he also mentioned something about smoking crack (sounded like he was serious) anyway thought id ask the experts and see what you guys thought.

• i believe thats the exact same as judah(lunerbusters) yak.. the one im using now.
    its got a lot going for it,, two hatches being one of the maiin bonuses

and ALWAYs take advantage of a recreational crack users offers,, they go wayyy down fast

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• it looks like a nice rig, the seat will be 40, the paddle looks basic, so 20...the hatches look solid and all have their straps, 40-80...and rod holders which, if you fish is nice, plus, they can hold a nice dive flag..24-30 bucks, plus your install time

i think it is worth close to 450, ask a lot lower and work up is my suggestion...even for 400 bucks that is a nice kayak

i like to spear fish

• If you find a fair deal on CL you better jump on it fast or its gone. some people look for a day and find it, others will take a month or two to find a yak. My experience was the latter, but then again i wanted a scupper pro.

Steve

• Stevoooooooooo---we miss u brother

mrmike---IMO, if I was 6' 1" and 200lbs I would buy an Ocean Kayak Trident Prowler Angler 15 and only look back to see if the others were still following me :)
    My good friend Rhodyhunter has this yak and is VERY happy with his.
    They are not cheap new ($1050.+) and very hard to find used :(

For spearos my size (5' 10", 170lbs) or smaller, the Scupper Pro Classic (front and rear hatch) is VERY hard to beat.
    We have make numerous unintentional attempts to damage our scupper pros. From end over end 6' surf beach landings :surfing: to 65mph freeway airborn launches :poke:we have not been able to break a Scupper Pro yet :)

If money is not a factor and speed/distance is, then buy a Hobie Adventure. With this yak you could peddle to the Bahamas an spear. It will cruise a 5mph all day with the Mirage drive peddle system. I have one on my hau yak hauler 24-7 as a spare.
    The above is just my opinion.
    Hope this helps

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited 2 times, last by hau ().

• thanks for the input hau, I have seen the trident anglers but they are usually still quite expensive.... and im happy to report that im 6'1" and only about 190 now and still dropping.