Tin Man Weight Order

• I want to buy a set of weights from Tin Man. Anyone want to jump in on the order to save shipping? I live next to Dan in Fort Lauderdale.

Jim

• I forgot to mention that I'm really only looking for Rob Allen belt sized weights. I forgot to mention that when I PM'ed you Tin Man.

Jim

• No problem there. I have modified my mold so that the weights now fit all of the standard belts, at least as far as I know. Rob Allen works, as does the softer Omer, and anything else in between of the same approximate dimensions.

• Thanks Tin Man. They arrived yesterday, and I must admit that you pack the hell out of these!

I had a hell of a time getting them on the thick RA belt, even with conditioner and a pair of pliers. That's when I thought to myself; "Why don't you use your brain?"

This worked like a charm. Trimmed the sides a little and cut off the tip, passed some line through, lubed with conditioner, pulled right through. SUPER easy and definitely the way to go. I had no problems getting the knot through (cow hitch).

Take a look.

another:

• Sorry that they were difficult to install at first, but I like your solution. Was the belt getting hung up because of the thickness, or the width? By that, I mean did you have the edges tapered like this:

If not, then that's obviously easy to fix. You are right in that it is almost impossible to thread the weights if the belt does not protrude through the slot enough to get a good grip. If you were finding that your belt was too thick for the weight slot, then I need to adjust the dimension to better accomodate the RA belt. I check every weight to make sure that it fits easily on my RA belt, but this makes me wonder if maybe the thickness of the belts varies somewhat from one to the other?

One other thing that I should mention for anyone else who may have trouble. It is very hard to hold the weight in one hand and pull the belt through with the other. It works much easier if you put the belt on the floor. Step on the buckle end, and pull the free end to stretch the belt. THEN slide the weight. You probably already figured that out, but it isn't always obvious to someone else just looking at the pictures.

Edited once, last by Guest ().

• Moving the weights on the belt was no problem, I just stretched the belt a little.

I was referring to the thickness, it was tight when initially getting the weights on. I had it tapered like the photo you attached before I cut the tip off. But the string way made it easy. I don't think you should widen the slot, I think that it wouldn't work as well for the thinner belts.

Oh, and I posted pics of my RA shaft on the other thread, but not on SB.

• Jim, Jeff is right on the money with his post. I have my belt trimmed like that but not at such a shallow angle and have no problems getting the weights on. The beauty of these weights is how easy they are to take on and off. This comfort is conducive to being weighed properly when diving. Often fine adjustments should be made on the boat but we're lazy to do it if can't be done easily. While your method with the string is a good solution to get the job done I think the purpose of the weights is defeated as you may be hesitant to go through all that on the boat and may even not bring along the string.

The RA belt is a PITA on so many levels. I've already stated what is wrong with it on my belt thread. It's just so much simpler and better to go with another belt. This is why I'm content with the older mold Jeff made me that will do perfect weights for all belts except the RA.