I need new fins... on a budget

• went out today with my old us divers cheapo split fins and my friend with his mares avanti quattro power (only $100). with him dragging fish and (he says) only about 75% of full speed he was quickly leaving me in his dust.... Sadly I was kicking all out and only dragging a flag. So hopefully in the next week or two Ill get some new fins, I dont have the money for some huge freedive fins and only beach dive so im not worried about racing to the bottom at 50+ feet. Does anyone have other suggestions for fins that are comparable to the mares quattro power in price and/or performance?? id have to say my budget is $150 at most right now with the auto industry being as slow as it is. thanks for your help guys

• What size foot/footpocket do you use?

I have a few new and used sets of fins I may want to part with.

As for advice the best starter fin for me is the Cressi 2000 and 3000's. Flat out for a great bang for your buck.
    You could find them as low as $100.00before shipping charges+$20.(from a quick google search)

• size 12 shoe, dont know what exactly that equates to in fins, mine right now are strap fins and I wear booties.

• The Mares Avanti Quattro are not good fins, they're too heavy. You'd do much better with the Cressi Larry suggested.

If you can wait a couple of days I will have two pairs of new plastic fins that I'm sampling which I will probably sell for cheap. They're around your size.

• i got cressi gara 2000 hf.....good fins..in currents...you must be in shape...they can give you a work out....try cressi gara 2000 or 3000....3000 is a softer blade...great low budget fins...no complains..also for freediving/spearfishing....there is a 2000 model its LD "long distance"....i got hf "hard".....

• The plastic fins I spoke of originally most likely will not fit you.

Mike, I can probably set you up, within your budget, with a pair of used footpockets and used carbon blades. The footpockets are 42-44, but they fit a little looser so they might fit a size 12 foot if you don't wear socks. If I sell you something it will be a good functional fin, regardless of being used.

• The plastic fins I spoke of originally most likely will not fit you.

Mike, I can probably set you up, within your budget, with a pair of used footpockets and used carbon blades. The footpockets are 42-44, but they fit a little looser so they might fit a size 12 foot if you don't wear socks. If I sell you something it will be a good functional fin, regardless of being used.

dan that sounds awesome, as long as its comfortable I shouldnt need socks. do you have them now??? im off thursday if you do, perhaps I could come check them out??

• I shouldn't have given away my secret. I guess I shouldn't tell you that I sing like Neil Diamond either...

I'll keep an eye out for the fins. It'd be cool to see what you've got and how they compare to the Cressis, and might save me some money instead of buying some expensive fins that I don't really need. I'm still mezmerised by Umberto Pelizzari and all the diving he did with Cressi 3000 HF's. i wish I could find a pair of those in my size.

• The 3000LD are the least stiff of their fins. The 3000HF was a stiffer version that sold mostly in Europe. The 2000HF is again stiffer than the 3000LD, as well as being a few centimeters shorter. The new Professionals, from what I'm told as I haven't dove them yet, are somewhere between the 3000LD and the 2000HF, and the footpocket is revamped, and is a little stiffer than all the other models.

• The 3000LD are the least stiff of their fins. The 3000HF was a stiffer version that sold mostly in Europe. The 2000HF is again stiffer than the 3000LD, as well as being a few centimeters shorter. The new Professionals, from what I'm told as I haven't dove them yet, are somewhere between the 3000LD and the 2000HF, and the footpocket is revamped, and is a little stiffer than all the other models.

I dive with both the Professionals and the new Professional LD's. I sold all my other plastic fins after using the pro's for a year.

Mike

• Mike, how does the stiffness really compare, and how are the footpockets? I've been curious about the Professionals, but haven't had the chance to get my hands on a pair yet.

• Mike, how does the stiffness really compare, and how are the footpockets? I've been curious about the Professionals, but haven't had the chance to get my hands on a pair yet.

The feel is so much different that its hard to compare to the traditional fin. When I first started using them I thought they were to soft but I came to realize they just require less effort. Great fin in the kelp due to being shorter then the Riffe or Omer. Very comfortable foot pocket. If your ever down South swing by and take them out for a dive.

Mike