O2 and Co2 Tables

• OK, I am new to free diving and I know that this has been posted a hundred times on here but with the large amount of info, some of it being a tad dated, and many of the threads diverging a bit from the original topic I have found it difficult to get a clear picture. So at the risk of redundancy; I am trying to find info on exercises to increase my depth and bottom times. I am a runner and swimmer so my lung capacity is decent from the start but I know that this differs from training ones body to deal with a surplus/deficit in CO2/O2 respectively. So far these are the exercises I have found. They are similar to some I have done for lifeguard training but I am curious as to how to progress through them so to increase my ability. Any other info on this like books, websites, etc are also appreciated. I am trying to do this safely as many times I will probably be doing this solo after I get the hang of it. Thanks. :toast: Slainte.

CO2:
    - start -
    - Hold 2mins
    - Recover 2mins
    - Hold 2mins
    - Recover 1min
    - Hold 2mins
    - Recover 30secs
    - Hold 2mins
    - Recover 15secs
    - Hold 2mins.
    - finish -

O2:
    - start -
    - Hold 1 min
    - Recover 2 mins
    - Hold 1.5 min
    - Recover 2 mins
    - Hold 2 mins
    - Recover 2 mins
    - Hold 2.5 mins
    - Recover 2 mins
    - Hold 3 mins
    - Recover 2 mins
    - Hold 3.5 mins
    - Recover 2 mins
    -end with a max effort

• Howdy Sean, glad you made it over here. the place to be:)

I agree with Dan about diving being the bes training, but I do a similar thing to those tables every once in a while just to get my body used to wanting to breath and not doing it.. I also will do occasional apnea walks (on grass!!! not cement) for the benefit of adding phyiscal exertion and sometimes I will hit the treadmill with a snorkel..that makes for some very funny looks

i like to spear fish

• diving is good training but you can also incorporate other training methods as well.
    If you want to do static tables you can download programs with prompts from Deeperblue.com and apnea training manager at Apnea.cz .
    Personally, I hate statics but everyone I know who does them, increases their breath hold. I prefer pool training but I know I would benefit from statics.

• Dan is right, best thing for "Spearfishing" is spearfishing, when you do statics your not moving your arms or legs...just sitting there...you may get good times, but, then when you hit the water and start moving arms and especially legs and start burning O2 it is a different story, not to mention pressure from depth, mask equalization, ear equalization. The only thing I find that helps me personally for breathold on the days I am not in the water is Apnea walking (on grass in backyard), this way I am using my legs and I equalize and do small mouth exhales (imitating mask equalization) during my 90ft walks. These help to a certain small extent because I am much more relaxed when I hit the water and I do a 5 minute facial immersion to kick in the dive reflex.

• Apnea walking? Is that just doing the breathing exercises while walking or simulating breathing patterns you would do while diving when walking? I plan on diving a lot but anything extra helps. Longer I can stay down, the more fish I can shoot. :cool2:

• you do facial immmersion black? you notice a difference? and any reason for 5 minutes,, i would of thought less timee but i dont know muich about it

Martin Stepanek ( FII) and Kirk Krack (PFI) teach that a 5 min facial immersion helps you lower your heart rate and relax. They believe this will also help with the dive reflex. Newer theory is that the dive reflex kicks in faster and stronger without this or a warm-up.
    I don't do an immersion or warm-up but you should do whatever works best for you. Try different things ; dry land training when it's too windy to dive, statics, pool training. Good conditioning will enable you to make more dives in a day and stay down longer overall.

• for me, the key is to mentally gain control over as much as I can...that means relaxing with or without optimal conditions and with or without the immersion reflex.

I do my walks at a local park and I am very random about it... i will jog and then walk and then do an apnea walk, then walk, then jog, etc until I am tired, then I will pick a random object in the distance and try it get there apnea walking...sometimes i go fast, others slow, I try to imagine that it is the surface and there is no breathing until I get there....I find that if I am able to maintain relative calmness in this situation, it is an approximation

i like to spear fish

• The key for me is to take my mind off of holding my breath,I look for fish,big ones,tasty ones,hiding places,easy way down threw kelp and rest in ambush places.my body tells me the rest.the less I think of holding my breath the longer I can do it.which isn't long.and when I start shooting fish seems I get into a zone.I wouldn't begin to tell most of you guys how or what to do,but one or two new guys,for you guys just think fish are going to die:D and go spearfishing.

• Yes facial immersion works for me because it relaxes me before I start my diving and does help lower heartrate, "new theory" is not backed up by real test's which have proven beyond doubt facial immersion works. It may not come on as strong for some and may be the reason some say that it does not work, but, Kirk, Mandy, Pippin, Martin and spearo Dan Silvera are pretty knowledgeable about such workings.

http://users.ugent.be/~mvaneech/Schagatay.html

but again nothing compares to just diving alot, no outside activity will truly benefit you MORE than diving itself!

• I am referring to the CURRENT world record holders; Dave Mullins, William Trubridge, Herbert Nitsch, Molchanova, and many others who do not do facial immersion and limited or NO warm-ups . At the last freediving world championships I saw very few competitors using the old school methods other than Niki (Martin's fiancee) and the Czech team. Things have changed a lot in the last couple years. Martin was supposed to compete at VB10 and the Med. world cup but backed out. I know him but have never seen him do a maximum dive. I hope to- if he ever competes again.

I have had the opportunity to dive with many great divers and many different techniques are employed. I think experimentation is the way to go. Do whatever works best for you. I find the immersion a waste of time and warm-ups a waste of energy but if it helps you mentally- go for it!

• "I think experimentation is the way to go. Do whatever works best for you"

Agreed, we are all different in certain aspects so it is best for an individual to see what works for them.