Spanish Cay July 2010

• Hopefully you all are not tired of my posts yet.

My cousin's family and his friend's family headed over to my parents house for their annual July 4th vacation. They were nice enough to bring me along as well.

I convinced myself from the getgo to be relaxed and realize I will probably not do much spearing since it is a family vacation. If it was up to me I would be in the water all day long.

All in all I shot at 6 fish and got 6 fish. I feel pretty good about it considering the size of the hogs and having to use a hawaiin sling over there. I would enjoy talking tactics with anyone else that uses a hawaiing sling. I have gone from going for kill shots, to trying to launch the shaft through their gills.

I also bought a digital scale, I figured it was time since we had been getting some good size hogs to weigh them. The 2 big hogs this trip went 14.6 and 13.7 pounds. If I recall correctly the 2 muttons were in the 9 pound range.

This was the hog and yellowfin from the first day. He was the larger one.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

This second hog required some team work. I shot him and he darted off until he could find a head where he was comfortable enough to get under. When we found him, the fish was about to succomb to his fate, but my cousin put a three pronger through him for good measure. It was good team work, I am not sure I would have been able to find him with out the assistance.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

On the next particular excursion, after I had speared a mutton, a pod of dolphins joined us. There must have been 12, some were babies. They swam with us for 45 minutes until we grew tired and left them. They followed us in all the way on the boat. By far the coolest thing I have done in the water. I have video that is ridic. Once I have a chance to edit it, I will post.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

We had a boat this trip, so I got to do some diving outside the reef in 45 feet of water. On my first drop I saw the largest black I had ever seen. He went at least 40 pounds. I have no idea how I would even go about landing him with a sling or even a pole spear for that matter. I saw cameron kirkconnell's picture with the 50 pound black with a pole spear so it can be done...but i am no cameron.

Dan, attached some pursuit promotion...love the fins...thanks again.
    [/IMG]

[/IMG]

Edited once, last by JasonK ().

• Good job on the mutton. Best way to get the big blacks over there is using a 2-3 man team. We would get our best slinger and diver to dive on the black. Once stuck the pole spearos come in and finish them off in the holes. Worked well unless the tax man was around.