Wood burning as a way to add artistic flourish to your gun

• I have enjoyed wood burning for several years as a hobby since it was introduced to me by my grandfather. to do it, a wood burning iron is required but most any soldering iron will work in a pinch... I actually prefer a Hakko ceramic cored soldering iron as the ""go-to" tool.

it is best to start learning on pine or balsa as they are very soft woods and pencil lines can make great little grooves which are easy to follow with your iron. the most important thing to making the work come out well is to know the heat and shape of your iron so you can have full control.

Here are some burnings i have done

and here is one I am working on slowly

i like to spear fish

• i have done it to mahogany on my old Biller with great results...the burning does cauterize the wood to a degree, but any oil or penetrating epoxy will have no problems...maybe do a coat of penetrating first and then build up the epoxy over it for a super slick finish.

i also used to to burn my name into my old cane poles so the hobos wouldn't steal them and say they were theirs...damn hobos...I would always be leaving them in the water and such an never noticed any different weathering around the burnings

i like to spear fish

• Hi Spearfishing World,

I am a new member to the group, but have been a member of the L.A. Fathomiers since 1987. I build all my own guns and will do a post on the ones I built for myself very soon. Just adding to the woodburning thread here. I name all my spearguns after fish and asked my wife to wood burn the images on my guns. She did two to date, so she has a ways to go. It is s simple way to add to your guns for sure and I like the way it turns out. The Yellowfin is a bit faded as that gun has seen a lot of action. Need her to go over that image, and then work on the rest of my quiver!