An over 1000lb bluefin tuna capture!

• It's a really heavy shaft so over a short distance probably not much effect, but.. I once bent the back end of a flopper slightly up like that, on a 7mm shaft, and achieved an arc shaft flight pattern. The arc became really exaggerated past about 13ft.

• Ok
    This is the way I look at it.
    Go to this fish pic in particular, take
    a good look at it.

Are you lreally looking?,
    now tell me if you aim at this
    wall, and wait enough for it, will u miss the shot?

Traveling far away and trying to land blue water fish
    on diferent locations takes a diferent kind of hability and
    discipline, is more like cimbing mount Everest, hell, its there
    just go for it, why dont you?

Planing,Money, time, patience,desire,ego,money,so many things,
    plus the fact that you will be making one single shot,if you
    get really, really lucky, this is not for everyone, its harder than it
    looks in so many ways, and then, they are landed all the time
    with rod and reels, nets, harpoons, but land one with a speargun
    on a breath hold, and for some reason or the other someone
    will hate you.

I will probaly never get the chance at one, But i sure as hel will
    be happy from all the blue water hunters that haver taken one,
    from the incredible fish of Terry Maas, to the few ones I will
    read from now on.

• I´ve been eagerly following with admiration Virgili´s Quest for landing the mighty fish, i suffered his first loss at his first attempt a while back, and I was considering all the above things you mentioned Rob. I really thank you, All yeh thou Blue Water Hunters. As you said your great achievement is in part mine, and I´m feel proud for it. Thank you ..

Gracias Totales .._

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

was wondering if the shape of these tips don't deviate the shaft on long shots.

you are probably right, on a middle or long range.
    but , in my modest opinion, you must shoot the fish very close at less than 6 to 8 feet.( Because a bftuna hunting herring or mackerels is usually swimming at 10 to 12 feet per second ) so that the shaft first penetrates the fish and ideally hit the spine. Then the tip get back under the skin and stays jammed.
    the fishse are so massive that they cannot stop swimming as well as a car on the ice!! this is why a collision with the tuna is the main lethal danger:@ .. In green water and bad visi better to forget this detail!

Iv been using this spear tip for about 1 year
    landed a 600 lb last year with the same setup
    seems to me it works 100% because the bf tuna skin is pretty thick and resistant++ as well as shark skin.
    But never work with a dogtooth tuna...
    amazing to observe that a 2 inches long tip can resist to the unthinkable strength and stamina of an over 1,000lb fish.
    all the set up ( swivels, line, snaps..) used is 600lb resistant . Sleeves are the weakness of the setup and must be crimped with care++

Now that you dedicate it for me, I want one with your name on it.

Roberto, I ll be back again to Morocco in spring 2011 and if it works (there the weather is the master of the game), I invite you in 2012.;)

• Some pics taken before the capture showing the hunting context .
    At the time visi was during a short time much better than during the capture: A frenzy of predation:@... on the UW2 pic an about 900lb fish.

• Wow, that thing's unbelievable! I remember reading the story of the first one that tore off and it just hurt to read, congrats on landing that monster!

• wait, the fish was lost?!?! that sounds unbelieveable to me...how do you lose something the size of a vw?!?

if that is true I am deeply saddened for you brother.

sounds like the capt had a buyer and made up a story...

i like to spear fish