An over 1000lb bluefin tuna capture!

• Congratulations virgili.

Here's a copy of the article so you don't have to go to the other site. It's a good read.

• WOW!!! I remember seeing the video of the first one Virgili shot only to lose in the end. I just can't even begin to imagine the strength of a fish of this size.

Congrats Virgili on a TRUE fish of a lifetime!

• Don or Virgili, canone of you elaborate on whatthe lily head is? i assume it is a unique shape of slipr tip but I'd like to learn more.

thanks.

by the way, was this fish sold to sushi chefs...I have seen the pics of the market place where 500-700 lb fish go for 50,000$ US or more...:@

i like to spear fish

• I have always been curious to jump in on schools of yellowfin and blackfins feeding in the bahamas...the silky and other sharks in the schools definitely make me hesitate...but at least I do not have to worry about great whites.

Virgili is a champ for even getting in the water.

hillip, were you using the Tommy B. float board ,bungie and gun ?

Gear used for the catch:

-An home-made 69" teakwood tuna gun (St. Alexander style) equiped with
    a (3/8) 72'' long spear Riffe and a home-made slip tip (harpoon dart style)
    -The spear is connected to the gun with a 3 mm stainless steel plastic-coated cable. Swivels, snaps, sleeves... are about 600lb resistant.
    -Five 20 mm elastic bands.
    -The float line is a 75' Riffe bungie (550lb nylon line core) and the float system is T Botha board (I improved in some details) + an inflatable Riffe buoy connected to the board by a North Water Wedge SpectrX Throw Bag (used in Kayaking).

• Congrats on a huge fish!!

Did you ever try using smaller bands and stretching them more? Probably get the same power out spear with a whole lot less recoil.

Just an idea to test out.

• Great fish, awesome story and very nice gear. It's really nice that the gun was homemade along with the spear. To me that would add to the hunt, being hands on with everything from day one.

:thumbsup2:

• He has been a legend long before this, with camera and gun. ;)

Cheers, Don

I agree , it is very rare that someone who has not payed his dues would take such a magnificent fish.
    I can imagine myself taking a chunk of it and preparing it raw right there,Ahhhw! pass me the soy sauce please.

• Virgili, you are a true ambassador of our sport, your quest was inspiring and your endeavor admirable. Someone should write a book pertaining that true spirit of spearfishing in you. Thank you , I mean Thank you for achieving that feat and sharing it with all of us.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• Congratulations! That is an AMAZING catch. Savor every moment of it.

Dive safe,

Gerald

• Congratulations for such an amazing catch!

I was wondering if the shape of these tips don't deviate the shaft on long shots.

It looks as they have a "spoiler effect" on the shaft. I might be wrong, but that's the impression I have when I see them. Have you noticed anything?

Of course you didn't miss your shot, but maybe that's partially a reason of why you hit the midbody when aiming the head?

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Roberto,
    This pic is dedicated to you because we talked about this recent trip at the Wild Expo and I remember a the time your feeling and experienced/ comments about this;). Pura Vida!

Virgili , I jumped of joy when I saw this pics, what an incredible trip and to harvest such
    a majestic fish is an incredible feat.

I celebrate your catch like if it were mine, all blue water hunters do.

Now that you dedicate it for me, I want one with your name on it.

Marco, tuna you aim at the head, and they are sooo fast you end up hitting were
    it hits, you would have to aim in front of it depending on speed,but then
    you run the risk of it turning and avoiding the shaft, has happen to me enough times,
    I just laugh when people critic bad shots in tuna, if you land it, it was the best shot ever.

He lost a monster using regular slip tips, so he adapted and improved his gear so
    he could be succesful next time, it seems it worked.

Marco, we should plan a trip for tuna again,
    will talk about it on the Puerto Rico Freedivers tournament meeting.