Where to get a Spear tip locally?

• I need a place near Ft Lauderdale to get a spear tip for a JBL gun. I broke mine off in the Keys last weekend :angry5: and want to get out this weekend. I know Diver's Direct carries some but they are limited in their selection and ordering them takes too long or is not worth the cost for rush delivery. Are there any other dive shops that might carry spear equipment, most don't seem to that I have been in? Thanks. :thumbsup2:

• Shawn is it a 6mm thread? I have two tips you can have..one is a single flopper small tip by Torres (crap on a stick company) and is yours free (rinse and care for it or it will rust from the sight of salt water)..and a double flopper biller tip that is bulky but i like it on my polespear and you can have that one for 12 bucks.

I will bring them to you this weekend or throw them in the mail if you need...text me if you want one or both

i like to spear fish

• Shawn is it a 6mm thread? I have two tips you can have..one is a single flopper small tip by Torres (crap on a stick company) and is yours free (rinse and care for it or it will rust from the sight of salt water)..and a double flopper biller tip that is bulky but i like it on my polespear and you can have that one for 12 bucks.

I will bring them to you this weekend or throw them in the mail if you need...text me if you want one or both

I believe it to be a 6mm yes. Just bring them both out saturday and if they fit I will buy then from you. I have a breakaway that I can use but it's heavy and a PITA with smaller fish. Thanks brother :thumbsup2:. See you this weekend. I am looking forward to trying out the new yak and the float I got from Dan. Definitely need to shoot some fish and re-coupe my pride from the Keys trip.

• I know this doesn't answer you question, but you should consider getting a single flopper shaft, it is the better choice. See if there are some available for your JBL.

I shot JBL's with 3/8" shafts and the gargantuan double flopper slip tips for a long time before I started building my own guns. I don't change easily, but I have to agree with Dan. For a long time, I seemed to lose more fish when I used a single flopper vs. the slip tip, and I thought it was due to less holding power of the flopper. But now, I think it had more to do with the extra mass of the 3/8" shaft being thrown around as the fish flailed. I've been shooting a 5/16" shaft with a single flopper more, and life is better.

Deeper penetration (my old JBL tip was damn near 1/2" in diameter at the floppers)
    More accurate
    No lost fish if the tip doesn't deploy

And one other thing that is important to me around structure. If that slip tip got buried in a tire or penetrated the side of the wreck, it was a bugger to get out, and I sometimes had to just cut the cable / spectra. Flopper shafts are much easier to work around to enlarge the hole and remove.

If I'm not mistaken, JBL now offers 5/16" shafts.

• to be clear, I agree as well that a flopper shaft is heaven compared to a tip BUUUTT, getting out and spearing is more important than waiting :D

if you want, I'll give you the Torres tip and you can just use that until you get a flopper shaft if you dont want to even spend the 12 bucks...your call

i like to spear fish

• Thanks for the input guys :thumbsup2:, that's why I like this forum. Yea, I hate the slip tip but it came with the gun so I use it as a back up or if I am going for bigger stuff. My shaft is a 3/8 I believe and I definitely want to get a more narrow flopper type shaft soon for all the reasons mentioned. My only concern is strength so not to bend on larger fish such as a big grouper or AJ that have tendencies to bend shafts; but given that I am mostly on reef fish I am going to make the switch once I have the extra cash for one and keep the thicker one and slip tip for days I know I have a greater chance of seeing a large fish.

Judah, that works for me. Probably going to get a hold of FL freedivers and see if they have one, unless there is a better choice for retailers. Hoping for Saturday to be clear, looking good so far.

• Any shaft can be bent, 7mm shafts are just easier to straighten. Some huge fish are taken with a 7mm shaft.

A good point Dan. All about the shot placement.