PV 9/8 small guy

• Went and hit the optimal bottom of the tide. Surprisingly the vis was decent. There were quite a few of these things running around. Unfortunately most were under 22" It was nice to see these fish laying in the sand. LOTS of huge angel sharks. I noticed that there were few, if any, halibut laying around the angels. Has anyone experienced anything like this. Do the halis stay away from the cartlaginous ones ... bat rays and angel sharks? They were definitely mixed in with stingrays, but not the angel sharks. Ok, enough .....

• Out of curiosity, do you usually find low tide is a better time to hunt them? I've been trying during high tide and it's been hit or miss... mostly miss.

• I've only caught a handful, but I caught one this morning an hour or so after low tide. If I had to guess I'd say the grunion run and the phase of the moon play a bigger role in finding halibut than high or low tides.

• I was being sarcastic with the low tide comment. The fish were in the shallows even on the low tide. The vis is usually going to be worst, but the fish were there. I tend to hunt them on the high. On this day it was just after the bottom of the tide and the tide was filling in throughout my dive -- incoming tide is what I consider to be optimal hunting time. I think they come up shallower and are feeding during this time, but I have nothing to really support that. Maybe the local halibut whisperer can chime in on this one?

Whats the best tide?

• I was being sarcastic with the low tide comment. The fish were in the shallows even on the low tide. The vis is usually going to be worst, but the fish were there. I tend to hunt them on the high. On this day it was just after the bottom of the tide and the tide was filling in throughout my dive -- incoming tide is what I consider to be optimal hunting time. I think they come up shallower and are feeding during this time, but I have nothing to really support that. Maybe the local halibut whisperer can chime in on this one?

Whats the best tide?

I would say Halibutmike the man on that.:D

• I got my limit on low tide one day. I couldve kept on killin them too. I got some really nice fish that day and the water was gin clear and fish were killed from 3ft to 20ft. I literally shot a coulple and just stood up and put them on my stringer that day. :thumbsup2: One of those days you'll never forget. I haven't quite gotten the hang of the tides thing while diving and I've pretty much shot dozens of them varying from all hours of the night and day and all different tides. Dont have a clue. Just go get lucky like LADVR does;)

Over seabass hunting....

• I've heard someone say that once the batrays move in, the halibut diving slows down. Not overall, but in general. There's definately a point in the year where I'm getting alot of fish without seeing a ton of Batrays, then, I see more batrays, and less fish. That's been my experience, but I just started putting in more time on the halibut in the last 2 years.

Hey Corey, give me a call, I lost your # and can't seem to access the pm process yet. I'm back in town for a few weeks and want to hook up brother!

• Went and hit the optimal bottom of the tide. Surprisingly the vis was decent. There were quite a few of these things running around. . I noticed that there were few, if any, halibut laying around the angels. Has anyone experienced anything like this. Do the halis stay away from the cartlaginous ones ... bat rays and angel sharks? They were definitely mixed in with stingrays, but not the angel sharks.

Angel sharks eat halibut! - - .....

Out of curiosity, do you usually find low tide is a better time to hunt them? I've been trying during high tide and it's been hit or miss... mostly miss.

Usually high tide for near shore - they move in and out with the tide.... Incoming tide more will be facing in than out.... and reverse But - it's site dependent--- and lots of variables.

I've only caught a handful, but I caught one this morning an hour or so after low tide. If I had to guess I'd say the grunion run and the phase of the moon play a bigger role in finding halibut than high or low tides.

yep.... grunion run -- they follow the lunch wagon.

I was being sarcastic with the low tide comment. The fish were in the shallows even on the low tide. The vis is usually going to be worst, but the fish were there. I tend to hunt them on the high. On this day it was just after the bottom of the tide and the tide was filling in throughout my dive -- incoming tide is what I consider to be optimal hunting time. I think they come up shallower and are feeding during this time, but I have nothing to really support that.

In parts of PV -- (for example the N end.... )sea cliffs are composed of very soft fine grained siltstone - when there are tides - waves high enough to reach the cliffs the vis goes to crap..... In those conditions..... while the buts may be there.... you cant see them..... and the vis may be better on low tide........ ie to shoot um you have to see them...... so site dependent..... most sites vis better on high tide and buts come in with tide to feed....If conditions are calm.... they come in and dont move out......

I've heard someone say that once the batrays move in, the halibut diving slows down. Not overall, but in general. There's definately a point in the year where I'm getting alot of fish without seeing a ton of Batrays, then, I see more batrays, and less fish. That's been my experience, but I just started putting in more time on the halibut in the last 2 years

. My experience - if they're bunches of bat rays..... generally together for mating..... they tend to move a lot - jump..... and I think the halis just move out...... but, if there's tons of bait.... the buts will stay.... but are tough because real jumpy.....

So the theme here....is..... if there is a lot of bait fish around...... there are often halibut.... high or low tide - -- moon or not..... they love anchovies..... and squid.

• that's all solid info, thanks!

• Great tips Mike, much appreciated! We headed out yesterday during high tide and they were almost stacked up on top of each other even though there were bat rays, lots of bait though.

• Great tips Mike, much appreciated! We headed out yesterday during high tide and they were almost stacked up on top of each other even though there were bat rays, lots of bait though.

were there a lot of legals? ive been seein plenty of short fish ... or borderliners.

• were there a lot of legals? ive been seein plenty of short fish ... or borderliners.

They were all in that really annoying 21-23" range, didn't shoot any since I didn't trust my judgment but my buddy got 2 that were a hair over legal. Probably a lot more legals than it looked like, gonna do a night dive at some point this week so I can lay the gun next to them and measure without spooking :)