• Went out at slack tide today, swell was low but the vis was crap where I was diving, along the lines of 2 feet or less. So I'm sitting in the shallows nose diving into spooked 'buts and angel sharks when my buddy starts yelling that he's got one, only thing is he's about 100 yards away in the middle of a kelp bed. I'm like wtf how'd he even see that thing...

I swim over figuring if I'm going to bump into things it may as well be kelp and right at the edge of the bed the vis opens up to about 12 ft. Buddy was hogging all the good vis! Started breathing up to dive under the kelp and get over to him when I looked down and wow, that is a big flat grey rock. With a tail... Even after I figured out what it was it took me a bit for me to realize that I'd figured out what it was, and poof went the shaft.

For a second it just sat there and I'm thinking wow, did I really just shoot a rock? Then she gets up, moseys about 5 ft and lies down again. Swam down, picked her up by the gills and as I'm unsuccessfully trying to brain her she finally wakes up and decides to tow me around, got really lucky I had a good hold on those gills or I'd have been minus a gun! After a bit we decided to head in, she was a little over 19lbs, not bad for my second but :)

• nicely done...i love that feeling when a fish materializes in front of you and you have to do a double take without moving your head haha, thanks for sharing the report

i like to spear fish

• Thanks much guys, felt great to be hauling that one onto shore :)

And yeah, the steaks are some fatty's, definitely gave my vacuum sealer a run for its money!

• Sweet Miguel! Before I read the story, I was thinking I was going to ask you who spotted the fish out for you.:laughing3:

I used to think I couldn't see them either, but all it is is putting in your time like anything else. Pretty soon you'll be slaying them. That's a great fish, congrats!

• Good story miguel, congratz :thumbsup5:

What diameter is the shaft on the Picasso?

Not sure, 7.5mm I think?

Sweet Miguel! Before I read the story, I was thinking I was going to ask you who spotted the fish out for you.:laughing3:

I used to think I couldn't see them either, but all it is is putting in your time like anything else. Pretty soon you'll be slaying them. That's a great fish, congrats!

lol, actually the joke's still on me, the only reason I saw this one was because it was sitting mostly on some rocks. I spooked about a dozen others after swimming over sand patches I thought I'd checked already, still can't spot these for anything!

• Very Nice! Congrats...... good to know that some of those gray rocks aren't (because I see so many that look like halis but..... are just rocks!)

re hunting in 2' vis............ pretty much just an exercise in frustration.... I used to do it..... but no more.........

For those of you who havnt been diving for 50+ years........... It's amazing how many big halis we are getting these days...... much more than in most of my diving experience. The reason is same as for the wsb.... we got rid of the inshore gil nets.

• Mike, what kind of s pear point is that in your avatar?

It's a 5-prong stainless head made by Trident. http://www.tridentdive.com/ (download catalog)

they make a stainless and cad coated 5 prongs - the cad coated is a little cheaper but the prongs tend to break off at the weld when you hit a rock..... or even heavy bone. I've not had the problem with the stainless heads.... prongs get bent.... but easily fixed. Dont get the cad coated one.

So why a 5 prong?-- it's just best for halibut...... at least most of the halibut we spear -- say 30#s and under. Probably 7 of the last 10 halis I've shot were on rocks or less than an 1' of sand over rock... floppers and slip tips will not penetrate far enough when the but in on rock...

It's old school.... but it works.... Not just my opin. http://www.fathomiers.net/misc/Divin...une-2007.pdf

• Wow what a huge catalog of useless to us stuff. Mike I think this is the 5 prong you described. What was throwing me off is that in your pic the prongs are curved. Did they bend after hitting a rock with that particular halibut or do you bend them on purpose beforehand?