Mounting the Gopro camera for spearfishing

• The GoPro can be easily mounted on the Speardiver Stealth Mask using the compatible GoPro Mount.

gopro-mask-mount-spearfishing-scuba-diving.jpg

To mount the GoPro on other masks I use the Gopro tripod mount. Drill a hole in the mask for the tripod mount bolt, cut the bolt to correct length and that's it.

In the water you can't feel the camera on your head at all, the camera points exactly where you look, and moving the head looking from side to side does not create jerky footage. It's easy to reach for the buttons by feel, and the beep sound of the camera starting to record is clearly audible.

Another couple of advantages of mounting it this way is that you can easily pivot the housing down and away from the mask to be able to open the back of the housing and remove the camera from the housing. And that you can easily remove the housing/camera completely leaving just the tripod adapter on the mask, it doesn't weigh anything and you won't even remember it's there.

GoproMaskMount01-1.jpg

GoproMaskMount02-1.jpg

GoproMaskMount03.jpg

GoproMaskMount05.jpg

A speargun mounting system from FreediveStore.com - GoPro Speargun Mounting Bracket

gopro-speargun-bracket.jpg

• i mounted mine on my bandit, very easy to do but I got a 3/4" screw which was too long so I used a nut as a spacer for now until I can get a 1/2" long screw.

I actually cut some of the mask frame away on the inside for the screw to stay flush and not push in on the skirt. the frame of the Bandit is a little smaller and has less material to mount on...I also see that our tripod mounts are slightly different.

i like to spear fish

• mine is lower on my face than yours, but that is the product of the lack of mask to use...it is really out of my sight when i wear the mask though and that was my only concern. i am stuck watching football, otherwise I would go swim and test it :)

i like to spear fish

• Good to know it works on the Bandit, thanks. I would've ground away half the head on that bolt before cutting the mask frame, it's now going to be weaker at that point. If you have a dremel with a cutting disk you can cut the bolt instead of buying another one that may not have the perfect length anyways.

• good point...i actually painted myself into a corner with the cutting away the mask...I was concerned about the retention of the vertical position so Idrilled the hole out small to actually thread the hole for extra slip resistance..unfortunately, this led me to cut away the mask to be able to 1) get the screw to tturn and 2) to go into the hole.

i might widen the hole and add a washer to reinforce the area and then cut down the screw as you suggest...i will have to improvise a vise

i also am not too worried about the area's strength as the screw and the mask mount should limit the ability of the frame to flex and flexinng is what would break it...still most likely weaker, but not that great of a loss of integrity in my guesstimation

i like to spear fish

• I took your advice and shortened the screw...i still left it about a full thread longer than needed to allow for a washer...as you can see from the pic. the 3/4" washer goes beyond the cut out area and should disperse any flex passed the weakest part of the mask...i hope:D

i like to spear fish

• You don't need a washer, the round bottom of the tripod mount will disperse the pressure better. I suggest you cut the bolt again. *Tip: thread a nut onto the bolt past the point where you're going to cut. Unscrewing the nut after the cut will fix any threads that have been deformed allowing you to screw it into whatever easily.

• review- I tried the bandit/ gopro combo this weekend and will give it a B rating.

The frame on the bandit is smaller than Dan's mask and the camera is visible in the top of my vision, the hand adjusting screw is the worst offender. but it was easily ignored.

the feel of the camera was not significant, but I did notice it, especially on ascent. This makes sense as ascending is the fastest I would be moving...I found it actually helped to remind me to keep my chin tucked which is better form anyways, so that is not a negative.

i was a little bothered by not being able to be certain I had started or stopped the video, it is unaudible underwater, and fairly easy to hear above water, but you have to get your ears out of the water and clear of water to hear it.

I imagine the larger mask frame fixes both of my issues, both hiding the camera better and better dispersing it's physics, but if you have a Bandit and a GoPro, it certainly can get the job done :)

I imagine the feeling of the water pushing or pulling on the mask is there with a headstrap mount, but without the concern that it could pull the mask off your face. This did not happen so my concerns were purely conjecture, but I did think about it.

one note, to be fair. I was diving deeper than I usually do (40 - 60ft, i didn't get deepr than 54 cos my vagine was stopping me :) ) and so my mind was nervous, or at least on high alert. I feel this might have added to my criticism of the rig. I know that I felt a lot better slipping the micromask back on, but that might have just been a familiarity thing.

i like to spear fish

• very clever...i was trying to use the boat's swim ladder and actually smacked myself in the face on the swim step...fortunately it was NOT recording hahahaha

i also thought about another mask, but a small signaling mirror is a great idea

i like to spear fish

• I picked this up from a post somewhere. The camera is mounted on the front of the gun. The user says it works fine. I have a hard time believing the bands won't smack the camera when firing and at some point possibly loosen the housing door latch, or at least move the housing out of position. But it's an interesting option.

• I picked this up from a post somewhere. The camera is mounted on the front of the gun. The user says it works fine. I have a hard time believing the bands won't smack the camera when firing and at some point possibly loosen the housing door latch, or at least move the housing out of position. But it's an interesting option.

https://spearfishing.world/image/GoproMountedFrontOfGun.jpg

Yeah, and it will be a nightmare to swing that gun... :rolleyes1::nono:

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.