PFI Instructor class update

• Hi guys, haven't been around lately due to baby details and now in my PFI Instructor class which is going great, diving, diving and more diving is what we have been doing and also long hours in class going over D.A.N. safety, Advanced course material, pool work with rescue drills driven into you, long hours on the Ocean in deep water doing drills. I have learned a hell of a lot in this course and feel very confident in my safety and rescue drills which should be a comfort to my dive partners, but, hope I never have to use them. We were combined with the advanced course for 4 days and while they did some deep dives we did our rescue scenarios on them along with safety just as if it were an actual freedive competition environment, we had 4 students do 40 meters and 1 a 45m and one a very big 50 meters (165ft), safety students (us) were doing primary and secondary safety at depths of 55 to 75ft depths up to 33 ft all day long back to back and then being put to some serious tests with deep simulated blackouts, samba's and one diver blacked out at 60 meters were you have to physically haul them up along with the dive line and then swim a hell of a long way back to the boat, pull them up the ladder and get O2 going along with emergency help...phewww all this after being at class at 8 in the morning and leaving at 11:30 at night the night before and diving all day. I can't wait to simply go out and spearfish after this, will be a nice break, but this is what I have wanted for a long time and wish to be able to share and in the end teach all what I have learned and learn from others as well along the way....that's what life is about to me to begin with... Experience's. Take care everyone and will give another update in a week when it's all over.

• Good for you black! I took the intermediate class and found being out on the line for a few hours, for a couple days challenging enough.

I would like to do another line dive with them soon.

I assume with the instructor class you are not trying to do max dives, but have you noticed an increase in your breath hold/comfortability at depth -- it would seem like you are getting a lot of experience.

Jason

• whoa, that sounds intense to put it lightly...it is very cool set of skills you are gaining and I know that I, for one, would dive easier knowing you were with me.

stay focused and finish well, the fish will still be there for you to kill after.

how is the little one doing? Robbing you of all your sleep?

i like to spear fish

• Thanks guys, I have about 5 minutes to write this before I pass out for real, been a long day. Well we just did our trainer pool challenge's to see if you have what it takes to save a life or your own and they put you threw the ringer and all in a good way (for me) to challenge yourself in case of an emergency. All of these we did righ after each other in a row so you could imagine the CO2 buildup and lactic acid buildup, wont go into much detail but here was our day, class work for several hours followed by pool challenges, challenges were first up 800m swim with fins = 32 25 meter laps, tread water for a very long time, 50m dynamic underwater swim, 300m swim no fins or snorkel just mask, rescue diver swim while dragging partner (mine was Mike who owns and runs spearfishing magazine, he is 6'4) and giving rescue breaths every 5 seconds for 100m, then 2 minute exhale static....yep exhale static were you breathup then exhale passively and hold underwater for 2 minutes....after all what we just did....I completed it all and came home and finished my presentation paper on "Physics and Physiology" of freediving just a little while ago.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

• Well one more day and I will be finished, I am now a certified safety supervisor and assistant basic instructor and after tomorrow will be able to work my way up to full instructor, been a lot of hard work and lot's and lot's of diving. I came into this course knowing I would learn a lot, but, not quite this much, it has been a real pleasure meeting and diving with some great people and all of them are now some seriously good and safe divers with lot's of knowledge. I am real proud of all the accomplishments and even if this course didn't come with a certificate it has been well worth it for me personally. I am a strong and comfortable diver at depth and can handle lot's of problems if needed down deep and I proved that to myself and to the others and now look forward to moving up the ranks with PFI to learn even more and will be working alot with them in the near future and will hopefully meet some of you there if you decide to take any courses, you won't regret it.

• Thanks guys, I have about 5 minutes to write this before I pass out for real, been a long day. Well we just did our trainer pool challenge's to see if you have what it takes to save a life or your own and they put you threw the ringer and all in a good way (for me) to challenge yourself in case of an emergency. All of these we did righ after each other in a row so you could imagine the CO2 buildup and lactic acid buildup, wont go into much detail but here was our day, class work for several hours followed by pool challenges, challenges were first up 800m swim with fins = 32 25 meter laps, tread water for a very long time, 50m dynamic underwater swim, 300m swim no fins or snorkel just mask, rescue diver swim while dragging partner (mine was Mike who owns and runs spearfishing magazine, he is 6'4) and giving rescue breaths every 5 seconds for 100m, then 2 minute exhale static....yep exhale static were you breathup then exhale passively and hold underwater for 2 minutes....after all what we just did....I completed it all and came home and finished my presentation paper on "Physics and Physiology" of freediving just a little while ago.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

That's SPEARING Magazine. You definitely got screwed having to drag Mike's big ass across the pool!!! I just talked to him (we are brothers) and he told me about his snapping a fin blade at 60feet while doing a rescue. Sounds like Kirk gets you guys ready for every scenario.
    Charlie

• Yes your right, sorry it is SPEARING magazine (has been a long week...lol). Yeah I had to drag him around the pool and the shallow end nearly killed us both since it is only 3 feet and we both are over 6'2. Mike is a great guy and it was a pleasure meeting him, he is a strong diver and also a good presenter and is going to make a great instructor for sure...congrats to him. Yeah Charlie Kirk puts you through the ringer with hundreds of scenarious and rescue drills followed by class and pool work, we all learned alot and I look forward to seeing Mike again in the future and hope we can dive together sometime soon, please tell him I said congrats and to keep in touch.