New DRAFT Permit and African Pompano Regulations

• The next FWC Commission meeting will be held on Thursday, December 2, 2010, at the Hyatt Regency Bonaventure Conference Center

250 Racquet Club Road
    Weston, FL 33326
    (954) 616-1234 phone
    (954) 384-6157 fax

Map and Directions

During this meeting FWC staff will present the new (revised) permit, pompano, and African Pompano regulations.

The DRAFT regulations can be viewed HERE.

Changes from the Sept. FWC Commission:

NEW - No spearing of permit in State waters. (this rule is actually not a new rule, however, it's new in the sense that in Sept. the FWC Staff recommended to allow spearing of permit in State waters, which IMO, has SEVERELY hurt our position.)

NEW - 68B-35.006, Closed Season - The proposed draft rule would establish this new section to define a closed season for permit and pompano. The proposed closed season would be May, June, and July, and would apply in all waters for permit and pompano greater than 20 inches.

The proposed 68B-35.006, Closed Season is a slap in the face to all recreational fishermen in the State of Florida. Prior to the Sept. FWC Commission meeting this was the FWC Staff's position on a closed season:

Other management options mentioned include a spawning season closure for permit, regional management, or separating the combined three-species rule into one rule for each species. FWRI recently began a long-term (possibly up to five years) study on permit this year. Year one of this study is focused on stock movement and connectivity of permit, and other aspects of permit biology will be covered in subsequent years. Staff recommends evaluating these management options after more permit data is collected by FWRI.

Sept. 2010 FWC Permit Pompano African Pompano Presentation. Scroll to page 14 of this document and read the position for yourself.

What happened to that position between September and now? What data is being used to support a need for a 3 month closure? When was the proposed 3 month closure discussed among the stakeholders?

NEW - No spearing of African Pompano in Federal Waters.

Dec. 2010 FWC Permit Pompano African Pompano Presentation

Scroll to page 17 of this document and you'll see the change - no spearing. Again, I have to refer back to the Sept. 2010 FWC Permit Pompano African Pompano Presentation (see link above). Page 15 - Staff recommends allowing spearing of African Pompano in Federal Waters.

What happened to that position between September and now? What data is being used to support a ban on spearing of African Pompano in Federal Waters? When was this spearing ban discussed among the stakeholders? How is a dead AP in the boat that was taken by hook and line gear any different than a dead AP in the boat taken by spearfishing gear? This is a blatent discrimination on spearing gear with zero supporting information!! Seriously, where and when were these decisions discussed among all the stakeholders?

I'm appalled at the apparent backdoor decisions that are being made without zero stakeholder input and discussion.

SUMMARY - We are going to need a HUGE HUGE turnout from the spearfishing community in S. Florida at this Dec. 2 FWC Commission meeting. Put it on your calander and start spreading the word to ALL spearfishermen!! This is going to be a very heated discussion and we are going to need every swinging speargun holder there to defend our right to harvest these fish. Please post all this information on Spearboard. I know there are a TON of S. Florida freedivers.....we NEED them to show up at this meeting and defend spearing gear.

I also hear that there will be a saltwater gamefish discussion following the permit discussion. We are anticipating significant discussion of spearing during this issue. I hope that we can bring out the S. Florida spearfishing community to attend this Commission meeting and to speak on both of these important issues.

Shoot em when you see em.

• This meeting's location is the best location we could have possibly asked for and has presented us for a huge spearfishing community turnout. Weston is a suburb of Ft. Lauderdale/Miami and will be a great platform for our S. Florida spearfishing community to come together and defend our sport. Spread the word on Facebook, Twitter, Spearboard, Spearfishing Planet, etc. FWC Commissioner Ken Wright (against spearfishing all together) is going to sh!t his britches Thursday morning!!

• Let me add some additional information that I've learned today in discussing this upcoming meeting with FWC staff. First and foremost, the FWC staff that have been working on this have presented very fair and balanced recommendations to the FWC Commissioners. The recommendations that we saw in September were derived over a year and half of stakeholder meetings and as seen from the Sept presentation was very favorable for spearfishermen. As I stated previously, it's my opinion that some went overboard by pushing for the opening of spearing in State waters and that's what got us into trouble in September. Commissioners Ken Wright and Rodney Barreto about dumped a load in their pants (as well as the CCA) when they heard that from the staff. Regardless, we are where we are today.

The change in the staff recommendation was based on the discussion by the Commissioners at the Sept. meeting and their direction to staff to redo the draft rule making things more restrictive/protective for permit. Thus a spawning season closure is on the table.

In a similar manner, based on the opposition to the spearing discussion that occurred at the Sept. Commission meeting, FWC staff has modified the recommendation for African pompano. (Based on NOTHING!!!)

The thing to remember here is that the Commissioners at any time can make policy calls and direct staff to modify proposals. Therefore, the Sept. proposal (draft rules) was modified at the direction of the Commission. So basically the Bonefish Tarpon and Trust people have a few of the Commissioners in their back pockets (Wright and Barreto in my opinion) and have swayed them to add "more protection" to permit (and African Pompano) even though there is ZERO evidence that either of the fisheries have problems.

This leads us to the upcoming December meeting. Make no mistake about it.....if there has ever been a time for the largest spearfishing gathering at a FWC Commission meeting then that time is Dec. 2nd at Weston, FL. This will be our best collective time to have our views heard before the Commissioners. FWC Staff has told me that they feel that this meeting will be a critical spearfishing discussion and not just on permit and African pompano, but also on how spearing might relate to other species of gamefish which is listed as a separate issue on the agenda.

We need to spread the word and show up in masses at the Dec. 2 meeting!!

:attack1:

• Meeting starts at 8.30 am, not real sure when the permit presentation will be made.

YES, public input is allowed and NEEDED.

This is a PUBLIC meeting, contact the media if you have those contacts. As we get closer I'll post up some very simple and clear talking points. This has been over a year and a half effort, we've got plenty :D :angry5:

• Hey guys, please do not send out the previous email letter that was developed for the Sept. meeting. In that letter it says that we support ALL staff recommendations and unfortunately that is NOT the scenerio now.

New tackle will be distributed to everyone here shortly for this upcoming showdown.

If someone could post this over on SB it would be greatly appreciated.

• Meeting is tomorrow. Show up and support spearfishing, it's going to be a showdown for sure.

• Davie and I decided it would be a good idea to go to this meeting. This was our first meeting. We wanted to see how the system works and get our point across. We saw JFJF, Tony from spearboard, Ed Walker (Gulf Coast), CMFISH(Chris), and Denny (FRA). Spearfishing was a big issue and I was glad that we all got to the podium and spoke on the behalf of spearfishing. After we all spoke, everyone on the FWC panel there decided that spearfishing shouldn't be discriminated against.

I was disappointed not seeing more people in our area go to these VERY CLOSE meetings. The commission was very open to our suggestions. If you ever have a chance to go to these meetings, you should really go. It is not a waste of time.

From what I understand the no spearing regulation was somebody's idea with no backing for it presented. Everyone including the guides present wanted to know why these regulations are being placed with no scientific backing.

My favorite part of the meeting was when ALL the commissioners agreed out loud that there shouldn't be any discrimination towards spearfishing. And then the chairman quickly jumps in with words saying, "We will not change state water NO Permit spearfishing rules."

I guess its ok to be discriminatory in state waters.

• The commission overall were very receptive and not closed minded as I was expecting. They were listening to all the sides. I was going to ask the commission who spearfishes but someone already asked that question. Their answer was 2 people out of the whole group of 8(i think). Imo, FWC commission does not really know what spearfishing really is. But still they were listening to us. I think if the commission was better educated about spearfishing or the underwater realm, the rules wouldn't be as biased towards us.

• FWC wraps up 2-day meeting in South Florida

News Release

December 2, 2010
    Contact: Wendy Dial (inland issues, including manatees), 850-519-4301
    Lee Schlesinger (marine issues), 850-487-0554

Agenda (with links to background reports)
    The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) wrapped up its two-day meeting Thursday in Weston, where Commissioners dealt with fishing and hunting opportunities for the public and significant conservation issues on land and in the water.

The Commission voted Wednesday to launch the next phase of the Florida Youth Conservation Centers Network. Once complete, the Network will provide facilities where Florida children can learn the values and skills associated with life-long activities such as hunting, fishing, bird-watching and marksmanship, with an emphasis on safety and ethics. The Commission has received more than 60 responses to its outreach for partners to provide Florida children with these opportunities.

The FWC approved a new rule Wednesday reducing the daily bag limit for trophy largemouth bass at Orange and Lochloosa lakes in Alachua County. The new rule, which will go into effect in mid-February 2011, alters the daily bag there to three fish per day, only one of which may be over 24 inches in total length. FWC staff sought the opinions of anglers and local businesses, and the vast majority supported the change.

In the area of hunting, the FWC directed staff to advertise new rule proposals that would modify hunting season dates on many FWC-managed areas. The new rules could be approved for final adoption at the February meeting and apply to a variety of public hunting lands. Making these adjustments would align these areas more closely with the newly adopted hunting zone season dates, which took effect this year.

Also, the FWC directed its staff to advertise new rule proposals requiring hunters to tag harvested white-tailed deer and report the harvest to the FWC, in an effort to improve deer management. However, the commissioners directed staff to bring back to the February meeting a menu of options regarding exempt hunters, showing how those hunters would report their harvest. Exempt hunters include individuals 65 years and older and under 16 years old. Tagging is common in many states. The new rules could be approved for final adoption at the February meeting and would become effective July 1, 2011.

On another hunting matter, Commissioners directed staff to advertise a package of new rule proposals affecting hunting on many of the state's wildlife management areas (WMAs), to be voted on at the February meeting. Most of the rule proposals apply to specific WMAs. However, two of the proposed changes would affect hunting managed areas on a statewide scale. A summary of the proposals is available online as part of the Dec. 1-2 meeting agenda at MyFWC.com/Commission.

The first proposed rule would establish youth turkey hunts on 78 FWC-managed areas and create a youth turkey quota permit for 49 of the areas. If approved in February, these new weekend hunts (prior to spring turkey seasons on various WMAs) would take effect beginning with the 2012 season.

The second rule proposal would remove the one-gun restriction on all hog quota hunts using dogs. If the Commission approves the proposed rule at the February meeting, each participant will be allowed to hunt with a gun, beginning with the 2011-12 hunting season.

The FWC learned Wednesday that the general management plan for the Big Cypress National Preserve Addition lands is complete. The FWC, along with several other state agencies, provided comment to the National Park Service to make sure the plan includes a full range of recreational opportunities, public access and resource protection, as per the original intent of the U.S. Congress. The FWC manages hunting opportunities within the preserve. The FWC and the National Park Service will work together to develop a hunt plan for the 146,000-acre addition to the northeast of the preserve.

On Thursday, Commissioners re-elected Rodney Barreto as chairman and Richard Corbett as vice chairman.

Regarding marine fisheries issues, Commissioners directed staff to continue developing management options for permit, Florida pompano and African pompano, including managing these species separately and/or by region and allowing spearing for these species in federal waters if hook-and-line fishing is allowed. The Commission will reconsider these and other permit and pompano issues during the FWC's meeting in April.

Commissioners also approved a federal consistency rule that will require commercial harvesters to hold a federal Gulf Individual Fishing Quota vessel account to commercially harvest reef fish species (groupers and tilefish) in Gulf of Mexico state waters, remove the 6,000-pound limit for commercial grouper vessel trips in Gulf waters, and clarify which federal permits and licenses are required to harvest Gulf and South Atlantic reef fish.

In other marine fisheries action, the Commission reviewed and discussed various federal fisheries management issues, discussed the concept of designating certain saltwater fish as game fish, approved its annual marine fisheries work plan and modifications to certain blue crab rules, and proposed changes to when commercial fishing license endorsements can be transferred.

The FWC also directed staff on Thursday to move forward with proposed changes to the state manatee protection rule for Broward County. Staff will hold at least one public meeting and collect public comments on the proposed changes and bring back a final rule for approval at either the April or June meeting.

To see the full agenda, go to MyFWC.com/Commission.

Davie Peguero