Videos of serious injuries in MMA and other martial arts

• About getting elbowed; I don't know Ray's way of training but I've had it happen in grappling unintentionally just by turning hard/twisting my torso to escape a clinch.
    In grappling today I experienced something relevant to what I mentioned before about becoming complacent. I let myself slip as I had north south position on a kneeling opponent. He put his arm around my elbow from the bottom. I thought he was preparing to sit out which I'm ready to counter and so didn't pay it much thought. Instead he grabbed my wrist with his other hand and did an elbow lock. It was surprisingly strong and affected my elbow and my shoulder at the same time. I was very close to injury, closer than in a long time. Fortunately he's a good guy who's aware of the effect of the lock and he applied it gradually. I asked him to show me the move. It's a good move that I will incorporate into my game because even if you don't get the lock from the bottom you can escape the position.

I had Focus Mitts on and he was practicing his knees and elbows(elbow,elbow, clinch hands around head/neck, knee, knee) pretty aggressively and he missed the mitt.:0

Dan, the guy was on all fours, and you were N/S on top(like spin drills?) and he grabbed your elbow with one hand and wrist with other? Or you were on bottom and he was kneeling overtop of you N/S? Please explain. Are you talking like a french arm bar? If so, you can pull that off by just grabbing the wrist of opposite arm going under shoulder with same side arm and pushing forward with chest/shoulder. very similar to French arm bar but in N/S position.

Edited 2 times, last by Toledo970 ().

• Dan, the guy was on all fours, and you were N/S on top(like spin drills?) and he grabbed your elbow with one hand and wrist with other?

Like that except the guy on the bottom grabs an arm over the elbow on either side by pinning it in the nook of his bicep. Then he can sit out in either direction. One way will roll you, the other way will put you in an arm bar. Instead of doing this he grabbed my wrist with the other arm and locked it from the bottom. If I'm ready for it I don't think it'd be so hard to counter as he has no base with his arms at that point. I'll play with it next time.

• Like that except the guy on the bottom grabs an arm over the elbow on either side by pinning it in the nook of his bicep. Then he can sit out in either direction. One way will roll you, the other way will put you in an arm bar. Instead of doing this he grabbed my wrist with the other arm and locked it from the bottom. If I'm ready for it I don't think it'd be so hard to counter as he has no base with his arms at that point. I'll play with it next time.

I understand the "Pendulum" but what I didn't get was how he maintained balance/position without having at least three on the floor. Was he with his elbows on floor(set up for pendulum) and you were hugging his chest?

• Well that was why I didn't expect it either. I did have at least one arm around his chest and that's the one he trapped. But what happens is that once the lock is on he has his weight on my arm and it's threatened badly. I have to go with the pressure and roll, I lose the position and he ends up on top. It's a great move if it worked on me because I have good balance and outweighed the guy by 40lb.

• I'm gonna E-mail Luis(friend) and ask him about it and also counters.Sounds good though.

• Like that except the guy on the bottom grabs an arm over the elbow on either side by pinning it in the nook of his bicep. Then he can sit out in either direction. One way will roll you, the other way will put you in an arm bar. Instead of doing this he grabbed my wrist with the other arm and locked it from the bottom. If I'm ready for it I don't think it'd be so hard to counter as he has no base with his arms at that point. I'll play with it next time.

Did he grab his own wrist with the other hand(the one with arm pinned) like a Kimura?

• I don't know. As I rolled out of it we changed a few positions rapidly. Throughout that three times the lock went on and I was ready to give up but didn't have a chance as we were moving. I don't know how much he committed to the lock but if it was done any harder I would be injured. It started out as a straight arm lock but may have changed into a kimura. My shoulder is hurting today.

Some serious arm breaks.

MMA. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnFTTyaIVCQ&feature=related

Grappling. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnyLqIDsS5E&feature=related

Wrestling. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acxZjhxi7ac&feature=related

BJJ. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkh5H02Iw2M&feature=related

MMA. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9Rx-JgjBGs&feature=related

Grappling. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR1AmIsejDM&feature=related

• I don't know. As I rolled out of it we changed a few positions rapidly. Through out that three times the lock went on and I was ready to give up but didn't have a chance as we were moving throughout the thing. I don't know how much he committed to the lock but if it was done any harder I would be injured. It started out as a straight arm lock but may have changed into a kimura. My shoulder is hurting today.

Thinking back, what would you do different now? What did you learn?
    From what you are telling me, if you would of moved towards trapped arm and brought your opposite leg/knee overtop of head, it would have been an easy necktie. What do you think? He left that side open and couldn't control the movement of your knees or hips. We need some really good MMA/BJJ guys in here.

I can hardly watch those videos. Wow that sux.

Edited 2 times, last by Toledo970 ().

• I'm not sure what I would do to counter it once it's on but to avoid it all I'd have to do is be offensive. In other words not rest on his back and go for something, neck or pull him forward as he's got no base, as soon as I feel him going for my arm.

• Ya vi que aqui les gusta las artes marciales o mixtas, yo estudie Jeet Kune Do tradicional por 2 años, ya haxce como 6 a 8 meses que no asisto a las clases por tanto trabajo que tengo y falta de tiempo pero es una buena experiencia, aqui una foto con Ted Wong en un seminario que fui a verlo.

Pucho

• Yeahh I know but he is master(or Sifu) Grajales, he looks like that but he is fast and punch hard.

Pucho

Pucho
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico