Adjusting footpockets

• It doesn't work. The foot pockets don't retain the new shape.

What are your foot measurements? Put a ruler against the wall and stand on it with your heel against the wall, measure where the furthest toe ends. Also measure the width of your foot at the widest part.

• For my feet, the width is 10.5cm (4.13 inches), and I don't have a full sized ruler, but my shoe size is 11.5, which is 27.1cm and 10.6875 inches.

The width of the pocket is 11.5cm with the spring strap pulled tight. Consider also that I wear a 5mm boot with 3mm socks, so add about a cm and a half total (8mm x 2 sides of my foot). I plan on switching back to buckle straps, which should widen it a little bit, but maybe not enough. I mean, I'm gunna try the straps before resorting to stretching the fin, but I can't see it making enough of a difference

Edit: If I may ask, did the original poster mention that it didn't work in another thread or something? Because he seemed quite happy in this one

• For $150 you can get a decent pair of plastic fins with replaceable foot pockets, which will allow you to upgrade later to carbon or fiberglass blades without paying for another set of foot pockets.

After a wetsuit (if the water temperature requires it) fins are the most important piece of gear.

Diving with open heel fins is akin to running in flip flops.

• If you freedive, you MUST get a pair of freeediving fins with closed footpockets. Ther's a lot of bargains in the used market. If you look around and you're not hurried, you'll end up finding something.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Well, for now (for both scuba diving and a little freediving), I've managed to modify my fins to fit a lot better. I can't imagine I'd find a closed-heel fin that would fit an 11.5x6e foot with boots and/or socks on, though. Any suggestions for when I have a little money?

• You might be SOL.
    But if that's the case then look at some of the strapped longfins. RIFFE and I think Esclapez, maybe Beuchat still make some. They are still much better than a plain scuba fin. Maybe Dan could help you with that.
    The problem is they are not as hydrodynamic and there's the potential for tangling in weeds or fishing line.
    Also, even in very cold water you can get away with using a 2 or 3mm neoprene a sock, instead of a 5 or 7mm. That might help you get into a full foot longfin.

• It doesn't work. The foot pockets don't retain the new shape.

What are your foot measurements? Put a ruler against the wall and stand on it with your heel against the wall, measure where the furthest toe ends. Also measure the width of your foot at the widest part.

I know this is an old thread, but just came across it.
    Super happy to be part of your forum, but go easy on the categorical denials...;-)
    I am pretty sure some/many of these pockets are made of thermoplastic elastomers, which means that they can be shaped at certain temps and retain that shape.

I am not saying it is easy unless you can control the temp. But I did it to a pair of Cressi Garas and they retained the shape. Part of the pocket got a bit too much heat and melted, part was on the verge of cracking. In the end, I managed to shape and enlarge the pocket, verify the measurements and dive with it for a good while after.

Not saying you can do it on all pockets nor that you wont risk messing it up. But I did it, so in some cases it does work:
    https://forums.deeperblue.com/…t-pocket-expansion.96951/

• Apples and oranges. You're talking about dubious results with cheap plastic fins that you were going to throw away if you messed them up beyond functionality. I'm giving advice to people who are buying foot pockets for $100+ to not waste their time with this procedure, rather look for foot pocket with correct fit. Rubber cannot be heated, stretched and hold the new shape. Some of the current synthetic materials used in foot pocket manufacturing can, but are likely to be compromised in the process or go back to their original shape after being left out in the sun on the boat deck. You may have a problem with my "categorical" statements, but they're based on experience with many different foot pockets which is more than I can say about most people offering advice about it. It's easier for me to make a simple statement "don't do it" than going into a time consuming explanation.

That said, rev up your heat guns and have a go at it all yea doubtful.

• [...]It's easier for me to make a simple statement "don't do it" than going into a time consuming explanation.

[...]

I certainly agree (with this part);-)

Dan, I know that you do your field and research work, so obviously your opinions are well-founded.
    I think you are potentially helping a lot of people making easy choices and getting dependable gear without the headaches. And that is commendable.

Personally, I am just a weird combination of a tinkerer with a journalistic, inquisitive mind and a lot of time on my hands. I happen to thrive on information. The more, the better. Very few things are black and white, and I don't mind the greys at all.
    Many of us are tinkerers, many of us make modifications to cheap as well as expensive gear. And I love when that spirit is not shot down as well;-)

Anyways, my little post was just an attempt to add a shade of grey with all the usual DIY disclaimers. I trust people will do what they feel fits their own character best:-)

Top of the world to all of you.

• Foot pocket fit is very important, much more so when it becomes a problem because of some unusual foot shape. I see people with thin feet, wide feet and bunions, which doesn't allow them to use fins comfortably. I feel for these divers because next to being cold (easily solved with a good wetsuit), problems caused by fins; sore feet due to poorly fitting foot pockets, ankle and knee pain, will make you end your diving fastest. I really wish I could use heat molding to help them but I know it's futile. The only mediocre solution I know (when trying different make foot pockets a good fit can't be found) is to get a larger foot pocket and fill up the empty space with a sock. The sock will compress more in the area where the foot makes stronger contact with the foot pocket. Other than that they're SOL and have to dive with some discomfort.

I've considered making holes directly over bunions before but never pulled the trigger. For someone with this problem though the price of a ruined foot pocket is a worthwhile gamble considering the rewards if it works.

• Couldn't agree more.
    At a freediving comp in the Philippines, I saw some Koreans sport at foot pocket which looked like a neoprene shoe. It looked very comfortable, very adaptable - but also looked like it did not have much support to ve very efficient.
    I think the Korean manufactures some freediving gear, so maybe a push will come in this regard.

After having watched a video on a Aussie pro bicyclist making his own custom carbon fiber shoes, I have been contemplating doing the same with fin foot pockets. He did it because none of the over-the-counter shoes fit him. In a freediving environment, a custom footpocket could enhance efficiency.

I do play around with carbon and have a vacuum bagging setup and have the time to do it. I think, like you talk about elsewhere, that the tendon issue will be the hardest part. But even if I succeed, the real challenge is for guys like you to find an economically viable solution to custom foot pockets.
    I hope you crack it some day.

• True, but then I wont get to play with my carbon, epoxy and vac bag, haha.

Let's see if I get it done. If I do, there'll be a write-up.

• Ive long wondered if there was a solution to this. I'm lucky enough to have "normal" feet but I've dealt with a lot of people that do not have this luxury. A mold for a production pocket is like Dan mentioned very expensive but each person is born with a pair of molds (their feet) that could be used in a one off piece.

It would definitely take a lot of work but here are my thoughts. (this post can be moved or deleted if this is too far off topic or deserves its own thread)

Step 1: Use a silicon or polyurethane to make a female mold of your foot while wearing a sock.

Step 2: Use a resin to make a rigid copy of your foot. Smooth out features and add material to make it more generic.

Step 3: Using either a silicon variant or some other elastomer "paint" over the male mold from step 2 to make the basic foot pocket shape.

The tendons are where it could get tricky. I haven't thought about how to make them from scratch so I'll talk about the other potential solution.

Solution B: Buy an oversized foot pocket; then using 5200 or other adhesive glue the custom pocket you just made into it. Slightly more permanent than the sock.

This might be a bit off topic but I guess still falls under adjusting foot pockets. If I come up with a decent way to make good tendons I may add it here or start a new thread. Like Diving Gecko I like to tinker although it generally isn't cheap. Also theses are very "bar napkin" ideas and would probably take a few tries to get right. Could be an interesting service for our funny footed friends if someone did perfect it.