My first gun build!!!

• Maybe it's just me, but I think you made the right decision not wrapping that beautiful teak in carbon fiber. :clap2: It's not that I have anything against carbon fiber, it's just that the look of a really nice teak speargun is, to me, like looking at a really nice piece of handmade furniture- it just gets better looking with age. Hmmm. I guess you could apply that reasoning to a few other things, as well, but I guess that's a little off topic! :laughing:

i have to agree, anything that hides the beauty of the wood is just not right.

i like the progress so far.

steve veros

in loving memory of paolo

• wow i didnt knew it s possible to pour a track:@

what epoxy did you used, please

very nice:thumbsup2:

sometimes i m asking if the freaks know that they are in the majority..

• I used West systems 105 with 207 hardener. The 207 is relatively expensive and also clear. A lot of people prefer the 206 or 209 for pouring tracks because they are cheaper. I used the 207 because I only could afford one type of epoxy and wanted a clear for the coating. Also I was originally going to wrap the gun in carbon fiber but made a last minute change. I also used molybdenum graphite and west systems 403 microfibers. The graphite gives it the color and is supposed to reduce friction. ( Some people argue this I think it works but dont have any experience with it till now) The Microfibers add strength and thicken the epoxy. I didnt use a precise recipe for the mix I added fibers until the epoxy reached the consistency of catsup and then added the graphite to color.

• Newest updates. After receiving word from Bill that hes finished working his magic on the gun I only have a few more items on the checklist before its complete.
    - shape muzzle
    - drill band holes
    - coat/seal
    - ballast
    - kill

I have a question about which coating I should use. I bought the 207 hardener with intentions to coat in epoxy for its improved durability and lower maintenance. After hearing from Bill and a lot of respected gun builders that they like to use teak/tung oil I cant help but second guess my choice. While Im still fairly certain Im going to use the epoxy I want to know a combination of the two is possible. I know that epoxy doesnt adhere to the wood if it has any oil on the surface but Im wondering if I coat the gun in epoxy first but dont use epoxy around the mech and other parts (in order to prevent epoxy build up) Then using teak/tung oil to seal the parts that require a clean fit and would not take the same physical abuse that the barrel and other exposed parts. Would this be more trouble than its worth? What potential problems are there with this and/has anyone tried it?

Thanks, Ill get some more pics up in a few minutes.

• Got a chance to do a little work while I was back home for the weekend. Shaped the front drilled the band holes and recessed the line guide and line anchor. No all I have left is:
    recess the reel
    epoxy
    attach butt pad
    tie bands
    ballast

• Well after much too long I have finally gotten a chance to post pictures of the final product. I finished the gun at the start of the summer and it has definitely been a learning experience. Im also completely hooked on building guns. I want to give a huge thank you to Jeff (Tinman) and Bill (WoodGuy) for all of the help they have given me through this long process. Sorry if I asked too many questions. I also want to mention Don Paul and Phil Herranen for the info they contributed.

• Went out last Sunday for a relaxed day on the water with family and friends. My girlfriends brother asked me last minute to bring my guns and diving gear. the first reefs were pretty but no fish and lots of jellys. Ended up heading to the sandbar for a little. After a few hours and a little rain we pulled up and decided to head over to a spot that I had nearby. Second best decision of the day. After about 10 minutes in the water we had landed a small hog and the fishing was looking good. Then I see a cloud of silt so I swim over and see a big hog on the end of my girlfriends brothers line.
    [/

At this point I was a little Im still looking to get my first fish of the day and first one on the new gun. I see a familiar set of rocks where Ive seen some fish before and there or hundreds of snapper and grunts all over. I swim over and see a nice sized black sitting in the open . I shoot it and it runs into the rocks.... An hour and a half and countless dives later I finally get him out.

Ended up being a great day of fishing.