Day off miami w shallow runner

• Got lucky enough to get on a boat on Sunday and went to hit some reef off miami w Shallow Runner and some other folks who were fishing rod and reel

Thank god for the pursuit 3mil as I was toasty warm until the ride home when I foolishly changed out of the suit, only to get soaked to the skin in the freezing wind and swell that developed while we were out :D

I managed two cudas and one hog, nothing too exciting but I was a little shocked...I saw the hog from the surface (about 30 ft) and thought he had to be a big guy, all male and lit up the way he was. He was in the sand with nothing near him for referrence. I saw the sharp brow, dark face and black stripe on the tail and figured he had to be 15" cos up until yesterday that was the shortest male i'd ever seen. He was 12.5", legal but way smaller than I will usually shoot.

Lesson is that being male has ZERO to do with the size of the hog.

thanks to SR for the pics, my GoPro died on me (batteries) and I missed out on some great filiming.
    big cuda went 34"

i like to spear fish

• What was the weather like? I thought it was pretty rough although I've been out of the loop up in atlanta. How do you like that pursuit suit? Im gunna try one on tomorrow when I get back.

Also how do you cook the cuda? I've heard mixed reviews on them as far as taste but Im curios to try it sometime.

• Yea man, that ride back in was viscous to say the least. :@
    I got skunked on the day with 2 missed shots on nice cuda's; actually think Lunker's big one may be one of my misses. :D. Aside from that I guess they saw me coming cause I didn't see much. But a great day on the water for sure.

Thanks again Judah for the invite and the fish. I have to improve my stats this weekend. Weather is looking like it may cooperate with us.

I actually have the big cuda in my freezer, had some real nice fillets on her but I am hesitant to eat it because of the whole Ciguatera possibility. Any thoughts on that are appreciated as I hate to waste fish, but feel I would hate the cig Sx's even more. :confused1:

• Shawn- for sure it is on this weekend...maybe hit some shore action to improve your odds with a bigger hunting ground:)

Wish I had Gills- the weather was great in the morning and the wind just kept building out of the west, this was a trick because we felt some swell but out of the west it actually laid the water down,at first....by two or three when we were heading back in through the BAYthere were 2-3 ft chop and a howling wind...the boat we were on hit a few at the wrong angle and it was a VERY wet ride back in...good for bitching about with a few brews.

the viz was amazing at first and shut down a little around noon, it felt like the plankton bloom picked up a bit as the water got a lot more particulate after that.

as for Cuda cooking, it is a white meat and therefore can be cooked all the ways any snapper could, i love it in chunks about 1"x1" or 1.5"x1.5", breaded and deep fried. like the tronchos de pescado in a lot of cuban restaurants...it is also good in a curry broiled recipe or even pan seared with some garlic...I like to pre brown the garlic and some diced onions to make them a little crispy and then add the fish.

Generally I wont eat one over 3ft, the one i shot was 34" and Shallow and I were debating if it was too close to the line to eat

i like to spear fish

Edited 2 times, last by LunkerBuster ().

• it was like an optical illusion...i saw him and thought he must be a beast, because my last one was :D and when I dropped Ithought I was farther away than i was (because I was in the wrong mind set to begin with) and when I fired (and hit him high cos Ithought he was farther away) I was literally shocked at how small he looked on the spear. I was in disbelief. lesson learned though, I was glad he didnt come up short or I'd have felt like a real POS

i like to spear fish

• spearos---there is only 1 proven 100% accurate, free, safe, cig test. It is the MIL test.
    I have used the MIL test since 1975 with 100% results on all kinds of bigger Florida fish.

First, cook a one person size portion of the fish in question. Cook/ broil/ bake/ smoked, doesn't matter.
    Then take this one person portion over to your mother-in-laws house.
    Wait a day or two and then give her a call IF you don't here from her first.
    If she is ok and her cat is ok after eating all the cuda you took her then the fish has no cig
    MIL= Mother In Law
    :)

• Will do ben. This was beyond last minute. I think Shawn was called at 955 and we were on the water out of biscayne at1040. I knew he had his shut ready cos I had to sell him out on Saturday.

Hopefully it should be somewhat regular occurrence. Fingers crossed

i like to spear fish

• sweet. hope it turns into a regular occurance.

Heck yes, I am always down for a boat trip. The yak is great but a boat offers so much more freedom.

Hau, I saw that cuda you shot the other day in your pics, it had to be about the same size right? You eat that or are you waiting to hear from the MIL? :laughing3:
    I don't shoot them too often that big (or take them from others in this case) so I may just get one of those test. $40 is better than having those neurological symptoms. :@

Judah, no selling out there bro; priorities like that take presidence man; no worries. :thumbsup2:
    This weekend is looking kinda of iffy now but it may turn out so fingers crossed there.