Flasher question

• Thanks Don.

The lost and be found technique: :D

You also could toss a flasher and retrieve it constantly. That technque produces relative rates of success. The downside is you may lose the flasher frequently. Is all about rythm and timing.

The "Scumbag technique"::D

The combination of a chumbag (dive net bag full o stinky crap) and some flasher is another story, just drift along the chum cloud and let the flashers fly nearby..

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• and you can see the 120 in the background of the top pic....here is one of the 90 w the flash on....the tape works in my living room too...see the cats and dogs it flashed in :D
    ]

Thanks for the pics.
    I put some tape on my gun and fins. As usual, I'll probably look at it, think it over and change it about 4 times...:D
    So far I've cut 3-8 inch pieces shaped like a local fish here we call sprat. Very shiny. I put about 5 down each side of my gun. And the round carbon fiber barrel should expose it to all different angles.
    We'll see what happens Sunday.

• I have a rob allen combo flasher its the kamikaze and shoal put together, its rigged to a rob allen chicken float which i connect to my main float it works great to bring in the nice pelagics and excite the bait fish. its great in slightly choppy conditions as it bobs itself up and down

• Flashers!

We use them a Lot and they are highly effective.

My normal Flasher set up is about 1O of these Rattling Flasher Fish which are hollow and full of beads, and a few Metal Spoons set up at one yard intervals on some 2OOlb Mono. I use a 75ft piece of Mono attached to a Buoy. With 1O-15 Flasher Fish this means I have a 3O-45ft length of Flashers.

Flashers are great because they work and bring Fish in. Another reason this system is a good one is because it gives you a reference as to how deep you are in clear water.

The way I like to use this system is with a Flasher Buoy and then I use a Big Reel on my gun, ie 1OOyds+ line. I use a Heavy Fish as my bottom Flasher and this keeps the line straight down in currents or when I'm swimming. It's good to use a Streamlined Flasher like this so that there is not too much resistance. If I need to swim against a current or want to move my position I just swim with the buoy over my shoulder.

Another Trick is to shoot a Rainbow Runner or any other decent sized Baitfish with a non lethal shot. Then I thread the Fish onto the line at the bottom of the line and let it swim arround and create more action for the whole Flasher line. Often when I do catch a fish, ie a King Mackeral or Wahoo, as long as there are no Sharks around... I'll put them on the line too. Nothing makes a better flasher than a Big Shiny King Mackeral or Wahoo.. Especially cutting the belly.. so that a chum slick starts..

Another friend of mine uses a small vibrator inside a small waterproof plastic box which he covers with Reflective tape and adds that to the Flasher Stringer..

My own opinion is that for many kinds of fishing, though a Flasher is always a bit more work, they are extremely effective and well worth the effort.

Here's a few videos of some "Ultimate Flashers"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-ghgADFS2A
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlxhUpte2Yk

• That looks really interesting. Great videos, too.

Question - how do you store your flasher setup without getting everything all tangled up?

• Hi,

Our Buoy fits all of our Flashers inside of the pockets. Over here we normally shoredive, and the water entrance usually involves Nasty. Nasty. Well Overhead, Thick, Powerful, Barrels Crashing onto Sharp, snaggy Reef. So, having a bunch of flashers tangled up is not an option.. You can also just wind the line around a buoy, but the pockets are nice for very clean storage. Then everything pops out like paratroopers.

• Dan if you look closely at the bottom of the picture you can see the handle sticking out to the left so its not a direct overhead shot. I spent several minutes trying to figure it out as well.

• Dan, I think it's the Recess of the Line Release area that is causing the illusion. Our tracks are in the middle of the Guns. Our Guns are Oval shaped.

That 'Ultimate Flasher' system in the Video works best when there's not a lot of Sharks poking around... Another thing I'll do sometimes if I don't want to deal with a Flasher buoy, or if I am using a Breakaway and Floatline, is I'll use a Gun Flasher System. Like that picture above, 1,2,or 3 rattling fish tied off to the handle of the gun. Keep them pretty close, like 2mtrs and some lighter Mono like 8Olb. It's important that the Flashers are heavy enough to sink faster than you when you descend, but not so heavy that they sink your gun.. Again, streamlined Flashers are key here.

When I go down I'll look around and then strum the Mono a few times and make some noise. Another thing is a lot of times if a fish is just not coming close enough or is leaving the scene, you can turn them around with a strum of the line which causes the fish to jump and rattle. See that little Flasher under the diver..

• Hi,

Our Buoy fits all of our Flashers inside of the pockets. Over here we normally shoredive, and the water entrance usually involves Nasty. Nasty. Well Overhead, Thick, Powerful, Barrels Crashing onto Sharp, snaggy Reef. So, having a bunch of flashers tangled up is not an option.. You can also just wind the line around a buoy, but the pockets are nice for very clean storage. Then everything pops out like paratroopers.

That makes sense, although I'm sure I would find a way to get them tangled:)

Thanks - great info.

• When I go down I'll look around and then strum the Mono a few times and make some noise. Another thing is a lot of times if a fish is just not coming close enough or is leaving the scene, you can turn them around with a strum of the line which causes the fish to jump and rattle. See that little Flasher under the diver..

Is this technique particularly used for larger snappers, I gotta try that if it is? Most of the times big mutton snappers (>10lbs) in this area just won't come close enough for a shot or even a clear view of them.

• Hi Kyle,

I use this technique for some Snappers, ie Jobfish and Emporers, as they often swim mid water.
    Mostly though this is used for Spanish Mackeral/King Mackeral, and other Pelagics.

Around here we sleep in the reef for snappers.. aspetto.