Anyone own a Mako Spear?

• I am trying to find some close up clear pics of Mako spears.

I am wondering how the flopper rests on the spear. Does the flopper tip come up or does it lay flat?

If you were to compare them to Rob Allen spears, does the flopper rest the same way?

Thanks.

• yes I do.

the spear is slightly reduced in diameter there so the flopper is outside of the silloutte of the shaft, but not as much as if there was no reduction

the end of the flopper is flared just like the RA flopper

in comparing them, the flopper rests the same but is a bit stiffer (easily adjusted or "tuned" but stiffer out of the box) and the spear is of about the same exact quality...i have the one with the mini shark fins as opposed t ofull size fins or notches and that was a mistake...they are sharp, not that they damage the wishbone, but the tip is sharp and I have cut myself with it on almost every dive with the spear.

pics to follow

i like to spear fish

• It looks like the tip is flared up. Maybe it is the camera angle? Does the tip of flopper rest flat on the spear or come up a tiny bit?

I wonder if the sharkfins are stainless. You could file them down a bit, i guess.

• i meant to say it IS flared up, so are the floppers on my RA shafts.. I will take a pic of a 7.5mm ra shaft, a 7.0 mm ra shaf and a 7.5 mm mako all togeather tonight

the sharktabs do not appear stainless ( i hope not since the shaft is Spring steel, and I have not wanted to file them for fear of adding rust spots)

i like to spear fish

• On my old RA shafts, the floppers were all tapered up... so I just whacked em down or viced em flat. :)

Lunker, that 2nd pic concerns me... if properly tuned, your flopper should swing freely toat least 30-45degrees before getting stuck. Looks like the flopper is on the bottom but sticking to the shaft somewhat.

• A few years ago I believed that having the tip of the flopper bent up will help stop it from going back inside the fish. I used to purposefully bend the flopper tips up. I guess with one flopper I overdid it. The effect on the shaft trajectory was amazing. The shaft went straight for about 10ft then started to turn, at 17ft it has turned 45 degrees. I could've probably shot around corners with that thing. Needless to say all my floppers are flat against the shaft now, but properly tuned.

• I hear you fuzz. That's what I meant about t being stiff. Those were taken brand new and it has since been tuned to hang just about where you mentioned. Good eye

i like to spear fish

• On my old RA shafts, the floppers were all tapered up... so I just whacked em down or viced em flat. :)

Lunker, that 2nd pic concerns me... if properly tuned, your flopper should swing freely toat least 30-45degrees before getting stuck. Looks like the flopper is on the bottom but sticking to the shaft somewhat.

I flatten them too even if they look flat! :D