Mono in Mech

• What do you guys think of a trigger mech, made for wood spearguns that can accept the monoline at the butt of the shaft….made for 2 to 5 bands.
    There are a few out there but most seem rather weak for my taste.

Question#2
    Are there any US notch shafts that have the mono attached at the butt end of the shaft.

Ihab

• That'd be cool to offer that style of mech for home builders. It'd be nice if it was lighter since most would be used for light wooden euros & the combination of a steel handle frame & steel mech quickly weight the backend down.

Don't know of any american notch shafts with holes through back.

• That'd be cool to offer that style of mech for home builders. It'd be nice if it was lighter since most would be used for light wooden euros & the combination of a steel handle frame & steel mech quickly weight the backend down.

Don't know of any american notch shafts with holes through back.

For steel handles, I wouldn't use anything less than 120cm Euro style speargun....but the mechs on 100 cm spearguns with wooden handle + Teak wood are just perfect.

Ihab

• Will they be the same 1/2" width as typical mechs, or do they need to be a bit wider? It makes things a lot easier for the average guy if the mech width matches the diameter of a commonly available router bit (like 1/2"). That's one of the things that makes the Alexander mech (~0.470" wide) a bit harder to install.

• The housing would have to be wider, at least on top. Making the housing wider IMO negates the advantage of being able to attach the mono at the back of the shaft. The idea of a gun with line attached to the back of the shaft is that it's a compact simple gun. To accommodate a robust wider mech housing the gun will require some well thought out design changes if it's going to remain light and compact. But if you can come up with a mech design that will keep the housing the same size, I think it will be very appealing.

• The housing would have to be wider, at least on top. Making the housing wider IMO negates the advantage of being able to attach the mono at the back of the shaft. The idea of a gun with line attached to the back of the shaft is that it's a compact simple gun. To accommodate a robust wider mech housing the gun will require some well thought out design changes if it's going to remain light and compact. But if you can come up with a mech design that will keep the housing the same size, I think it will be very appealing.

As you mentioned, the mech width will increase by 3mm…..translates to 1.5mm on each side of the track.
    IMO, that's not much, most mechs of this type are of the same width….maybe 0.5mm less in width….but most are made for 2 to 3 bands max……we're talking about 5 x 16mm bands in my case.

Bending the mech to narrow its width below the top is not very practical to the end user.

Weight wise, the wider Reverse mech will actually weigh less than the regular Reverse mech by 8gm !!!!….the design forces removal part of the mech side walls to accommodate the mono. .

I'll post some pictures in a couple of days.

Ihab