How to correctly power a speargun

• Hi i have been doing some pool testing with my cressi mowhawk 110 (horrible gun dont get one) it has a 7mm spear and i am looking at powering it up i currently have a 16mm band and have a spare 18mm and 20mm bands some shoot high and some low i was wondering what each means (high and low) and how much you cut it each time you shorten.
    thanks Ollie

• I have a cressi mohawk 140 and it shoots like a laser, in fact i would rate it as good as a RA, check to see if your spear is straight or not, i use a single 16mm band on mine and it is more than enough, 2 bands would def. overpower it. You could try using ihabs method for getting it the way you want it

• CWW yes i have noticed that and had to grind 2-3mm off the end of the RA shafts for them to work smoothly.

Jono is there any chance you can post a pic of the wishbone setup you are talking about, i think i understand but am not quite sure are you saying that you cut your rubbers and change the band stretch by cutting your bridles?

I am not a huge fan of the mowhawk as it is just a rebadged orca thula and my plastic coating on my barrel is not fully stuck to the aluminium.

Also the rail is not deep enough so that if the gun was not held spear side up for the whole dive the spear would fall out of the rail and sit in one of the other grooves in the muzzle, i fixed this cheaply and did a little surgery to the muzzle by cutting everything above the rail off and inserting a SS pin to guide the line to convert it to an open muzzle this holds the spear in place.

Apart from those things the gun has taken heaps of fish for me and is more than capable just won't be buying another one is all

• You put a loop insert in each end of the band and tie the constrictor knot, from that loop yoy play with the lengh of the dyneema bridle.;)

• hmm seems simple but i have only got the rob allen pre made dyneema wishbones which includes the insert for the rubbers and i am in a mad rush to get my new gun sorted before the 5 day long weekend and i dont think my local shop stocks those inserts ill have to play with the rubber length, what do high and low shots mean? is low to much power?
    thanks for all the help so far this has really opened my eyes to a great new way to modulate gun power

• OK, single 16mm does not provide suficient power, and double band is too much, 2 X 14mm bands and a 7mm shaft is a nice proved by me set up, that you can try:).

Cheers.

Sadot Hernàndez.

• oh im not sure if you read i have 20mm band and an 18mm band which can also be re cut, does anyone have length of rubber/s chart for pipe/euro guns?

• oh im not sure if you read i have 20mm band and an 18mm band which can also be re cut, does anyone have length of rubber/s chart for pipe/euro guns?

Two 20mm or two 18mm or anything in between is too much for an euro pipe gun.

Here is the chart of BEUCHAT for 18mm bands
    GUN LENGH
    85 56cm
    95 62cm
    105 68cm
    115 75cm
    125 83cm

Sadot Hernàndez.

• This is from rich's thread on SB ...

The wishbone is loose on both ends and you tie it with a (sort of) overhand knot. If you're using wire wishbones, I guess you're just stuck with tying them in and letting them rot on the gun, or you're going to end up cutting the slot and figuring a way to reinforce the muzzle with a bolt and a spacer

Cut and taper the bands, shove the looped knot into the band and tie as usual. Pull the loop tight:

Cut the dacron wishbone and melt the ends with a lighter. Run the end of the wishbone up through the spectra loop & back behind. Loop the wishbone underneath it's self and pull it tight.

The hitch never slips but it's easy to untie and you can choke down on the wishbone easily if you want to shorten it for a bit more band pull. Takes about 5 seconds to install or remove bands for storage, and the spectra and dacron will long outlast the life of the rubber.

This was an awesome post btw rich just had to re-share it.

Jono

• rich--yep, that's the way I've been doing my bands for years. Works great. Thanks for the picture tutorial :toast2:

Jono---thanks for posting the band charts bro. I'm sure that will b helpful to many here :toast2:

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited once, last by hau ().

• hey rich and jono thanks heaps for that it will help me for a long time comming, sorry for the late reply i have just been away on our(australian) easter long weekend, jono did you get a chance to dive? weather was great north of syd!

• Managed to dive on Wednesday before long weekend and shot a snapper and giant cuttlefish (in Adelaide), i was in Sydney over the weekend visiting family but didn't have any dive gear over there. Next time i will def. drive so i can dive as well.

• oh nice jono what did it go on the lie detector? did you burley like crazy or was it freeswiming see it from the surface sort of thing? the only ones i have seen are tiny pinkies on the nsw south coast and they are all well below the size limit.

also when powering the gun what does shoting high mean and what does it mean if i am shooting low?
    i am using the charts provided but would like to fine tune it to be spot on. the rob allen rubber i am using is very punchy.

• Snapper was shot free swimming, i don't tend to burly to much over here due to the danger of GWS. It went 42cm on the brag matt, not huge for over here but def. legal. The cuttlefish made the snapper look small though.

There are others who can better answer your question but i always thought if your shooting high it is mainly due to muzzle flip when firing due to excess recoil, you can fix this by either adding mass to your gun (which is easy if it is timber but harder if it is a pipe gun). Shooting low would mean that you possibly need to either adjust your aiming or try powering up a bit by shortening the rubbers etc.

Everyone aims differently so its a bit difficult to give a specific answer.

Good Luck

Jono