SS thimble on shooting line

• So anyone ever put a thimble on their shooting line? I rigged up two of my guns w them and don't see any drawback for my setup ( it would not work for a pigtail setup) and considering how often i remove the line from the swivel, it seems potentially beneficial. The swivel itself already makes some noise so this adds no extra noise and it might add some strength in a big fish situation.

Realistically they are reusable too so the cost is negligible.

i like to spear fish

• I use them on my trolling lures because of possible chafing from the swivel but not on my shooting line since it will probably kink before wearing at the connection. There's also nylon thimbles that you could use or that plastic sleeve some people are starting to use. If it works for you.......:)

• i use a flemish-eye on my bluewater breakaway setup. on my reef gun, nothing, its not needed as my shooting line gets chafed up waaaay worse and needs changing out long before the swivel would ever break through the loop.

• I have lost more than one big fish because of failure at the point where the line attaches to the shaft. I now rig all my sharkfin shafts with a chaffing tube. Too bad it wont fit on the back of the Euros. I will post a pic when I can.

• I have lost more than one big fish because of failure at the point where the line attaches to the shaft.

So have I (wahoo) so I now change out my line after every fish i shoot on my bluewater guns. What I also do is use a 1ft piece of staniless steel cable (the same diameter as my shooting line) at the shaft end and crimp it to eachother inline. I burn the end of the mono to make sure it can't slip. I've found this to be much stronger v.s. having the mono connected directly to the shaft and haven't lost a shaft yet. When the mono gets chafed or kinked, I just cut it off the cable and reattach a new line. I'll do this until the cable gets to about 6" then, I change out the cable also.

• For me this was not based on a failure but I have noticed that this loop is beat up after ten or so dives and this makes it pretty much impervious. I can see why folks would not want this but I still have yet to see any real downside other than Marco's valid pint of it is one more thing and it is better to be simple. While I do agree w that, it is not an intrinsic flaw w the thimble, just a good reason not to use it.

i like to spear fish

• Are you guys sure the line attachment hole on your shafts is nice and smooth/deburred? Granted with BIG fish anything can happen.

Right! South African shafts are pretty good at this, but when I used European shafts a lot of re-work had to be done in order to avoid the mono to cut.

I normally deburried it with a Dremmel and finished with a bicicle brake cable until it was smooth and shiny. And they were big fish tested.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Are you guys sure the line attachment hole on your shafts is nice and smooth/deburred? Granted with BIG fish anything can happen.

Thats the first thing I check when I buy new shafts. Its more the creasing/kinking of the mono from being attached to the shaft that weakens it. The crease from the shaft end gives it a weak spot to break. With the small 1-2ft piece of 1.8mm (480LB) cable, it never breaks. That combined with a flemish-eye on the swivel end and I have total peace of mind that my shooting line will handle the pelagics.